cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Where to put the funds to up the credit score!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Where to put the funds to up the credit score!

I've worked to get credit cards to 0 and

paid off 3 collections on my reports. These haven't reported yet. 

but next step...

do I tackle the other collections totally $8000.  This is meridian with 6 total collections accounts.

or do I pay 1 student loan of $2,000 off.  I have a total of 3 student loans. Leaving with a total of $20,000 left in student debt.

what will make the biggest impact? My goal is to buy a house soon. 

Fico 8 

6/9/2021 EQ 630 TRAN 646 EXP 595

Fico mortgage 

6/9/2021 EQ 612 TRAN 577 EXP 594

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Where to put the funds to up the credit score!

To be honest, I don't think either option will yield much (if any) points. This is because paying down $2k worth of SLs and still having $20k remaining on your installment probably won't help you cross any installment utilization thresholds.

As far as the collections, paying collections usually doesn't yield points unless you can also get them removed altogether. That said, it's wise to take care of any and all collections before they get transferred to a law firm and they begin trying to sue you. Also, the monthly updates on the collection account will stop, allowing it to age and possibly allowing your scores to recover over time.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Where to put the funds to up the credit score!

It's hard to get a mortgage with unpaid collections. Take care of those first and try to get a pay for delete if you can. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.