Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in removing a federal tax lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help in removing a federal tax lien

hi, I have paid in full Federal tax liens. I received from the IRS form10916-A to withdraw the liens. How do I get these removed my credit reports?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help in removing a federal tax lien

The IRS will now formally withdraw a tax lien if, and only if, the taxpayer pays it in full or enters into an installment program that will eventually result in full payment. Once this has been accomplished the taxpayer must request that a withdrawal be filed, which can be done using IRS Form 12277 (Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien). The response you will get from the IRS will come via IRS form 10916(c) (Withdrawal of Filed Notice of Federal Tax Lien.) That form is your basis for removal from your credit report.

All three of the major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) will remove IRS tax liens that have been withdrawn.

Once the credit reporting agencies confirm the withdrawal based on the form 10916(c), they will delete the lien from your credit reports.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.