Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - Fast

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help needed - Fast

Good Morning,

To cut the long story short - I applied for a home loan purchase and will be approved if I settle one collection account currently reporting. The debt is mine an account that is over 5 years old and balance due is 1,500 for student housing. The loan officer said to try to "settle" with them for less. What do you advise I do, how much do I offer them for a payment? Anything I should know before I make the phone call to the collection agency!?

Help please! Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Thaitea007
Regular Contributor

Re: Help needed - Fast

I would see if they will accept a PFD, it will boost your scores higher if it is not there at all. Still try to offer less since isn’t over 5 years old. That’s just my 2 cents..

Starting Fico (6/29/18):EX 610, TU 595, EQ 603
Fico (9/1/18):EX 620, TU 599,EQ 631
(10-1-18) EX 630, TU 607, EQ 641
Goal: 670(Jan'19)

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

To cut the long story short - I applied for a home loan purchase and will be approved if I settle one collection account currently reporting. The debt is mine an account that is over 5 years old and balance due is 1,500 for student housing. The loan officer said to try to "settle" with them for less. What do you advise I do, how much do I offer them for a payment? Anything I should know before I make the phone call to the collection agency!?

Help please! Smiley Happy

I would just try requesting a PFD. If that fails, just pay the account in full—it will leave a scar on your credit report for years to come, but in a manual review, a charge-off or a collection paid in full looks much better than a settled one because it shows that the lender you had the charge-off with did not take a loss! Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thaitea007 wrote:
I would see if they will accept a PFD, it will boost your scores higher if it is not there at all. Still try to offer less since isn’t over 5 years old. That’s just my 2 cents..

+1

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.