Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Dick's Sporting Goods/ GE Money

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Dick's Sporting Goods/ GE Money

I recently opened an account with Dicks Sporting Goods. I setup my payments online through gemoney.com I got a phone call saying that my account was past due and I they told me on the phone that I had typed in the wrong account number. They fixed the problem over the phone and I asked them if my credit score would be affected. They told me it would not and it turned out they were wrong. I lost 88 points on my credit score due to this 30 days past due that was supposedly caused by me typing in the wrong bank information online. I have tried talking to GE money to have them fix my credit report but did not have any luck. Does anyone know how I can successfully get this 30 days past due off my credit report ? Do I need to get lawyer involved? 

Thanks for your help with this,

Jesse H.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Dick's Sporting Goods/ GE Money

A lawyer probably wouldn't do any good because it was your error, not theirs.  Ultimately you made the mistake, not them, so they're in no way obligated to correct the 30 day late.  I would suggest that you continue to call them, and maybe send good will letters until you get it taken care of.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

I would keep sending goodwill letters in writing  every few months.  Maybe try to escalate paste the frontline reps and see if you can get a supervisor on the phone during the work week.

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently opened an account with Dicks Sporting Goods. I setup my payments online through gemoney.com I got a phone call saying that my account was past due and I they told me on the phone that I had typed in the wrong account number. They fixed the problem over the phone and I asked them if my credit score would be affected. They told me it would not and it turned out they were wrong. I lost 88 points on my credit score due to this 30 days past due that was supposedly caused by me typing in the wrong bank information online. I have tried talking to GE money to have them fix my credit report but did not have any luck. Does anyone know how I can successfully get this 30 days past due off my credit report ? Do I need to get lawyer involved? 

Thanks for your help with this,

Jesse H.

This seems excessive for a single 30 day late. Do you have any other negative items in your credit file? What were your scores before and after this happened?
From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I already spoke to two different supervisors on the phone and they said to write a letter about what happened. They said they could do nothing else for me. My score went from 670 to 582 with this 30 day past due. I guess I am upset at the fact that they called me to tell me about the past due but did not email me or call before they affected my credit score. On top of that, when I asked them on the phone if this would hurt my credit, they said it wouldn't.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be a stupid question to OP. However, did you get email confirmation of your online payment? Check your email if you did and see what account # is listed on it.

I'm not familiar with their online payment option but it would seem to me that you would have to enter more than just your account # in order for the payment to be processed. They should have been able to match you with your name/address/card# etc. and apply your payment to your account regardless of the account # you put in.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.