Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with broken lease NCC business

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with broken lease NCC business

So back in 2013 I broke my apartment lease paid everything except the broken lease fee ( I was dumb I know ) fast forward I'm just now trying to rebuild my credit and I notice that they are charging me $2,000 for it but I know for a fact that it was way less than that.

So I call the apartment and needless to say they have new property management and have no record so they told me to call the previous property management. I called them and they do not have any record and stated that they give everything over to the new management when taken over and that by law they have to keep record of it. She insisted I call NCC.

I call NCC and they tell me the original broken lease fee was $1,100 and then charged me for water bill, late payment, cleaning, and lights. I told him that's in correct I paid everything. And all I get back from him was there's nothing they can do and that I would have to show proof of payment for everything. I was 18 when this happened so I didn't know what to do.

So can anyone help me on what I should do next I'm going to send a DV letter

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with broken lease NCC business

As I understand the post, you are dealing with the apartment complex, not a debt collector.

The debt validation process applies only to debt collectors.

You can file a dispute of the accuracy of their reporting if you have some documentation to support your assertion of less debt or of payment of part of their asserted debt.

That will compel the CRA to send a copy of the dispute to the management company, and for them to respond back to the CRA.

You need to begin by asserting inaccuracy, and obtaining an investigation and decision on your dispute.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I meant send a DV to the CA.

The rep at the CA said my account was in dispute and would stay that way until I paid it off in full. All I could do was request validation of the debt and then send in proof I paid some of it.

The problem is I don't have proof of any of that it was over 3 years ago and I was 18 at the time I had no clue I needed to keep documentation like that.

So am I pretty much screwed in this situation. I figured since the apartment complex had proof of anything I might have a leg to stand on.
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meant apartment didn't have proof of anything
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any documentation has probably been put into storage by the complex and they probably don't bother to go dig for it unless there is a lawsuit.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My old apartment complex dropped their account when I set up a dispute because I was questioning the account as being not updated nor having correct infomation...The apartment complex deleted their information within a week. 

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what i was wanting to happen. dont get me wrong i owe the $1,100 for breaking the lease and im fine with paying that but not the other $1,000 they are trying to get me for. 

The apartment said they have no documents and the CA said its already in dispute and it will stay that way untill i pay it and they will not do anything else.

can i not dispute to CA that the information is incorrect. becase thats what im trying to do and the rep said they are not going to go back to them because it suposably has been verified. which i dont know how if the apartment complex and the management has no record.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call the reporting agency ( TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax) any of them that has it on your report. Talk to them personal and explain your situation. 

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok im going to give that a shot.?

Isnt NCC having problems anyways with reporting to the Credit Bureaus? like they lost ther license or something.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok im going to give that a shot.?

Isnt NCC having problems anyways with reporting to the Credit Bureaus? like they lost ther license or something.

im not too sure who NCC is? but I would say that I had a dispute with one of my creditors and everytime I put in a dispute on the internet it always came back verified but once i called and explained my situation and what is going on....it was removed because they saw that clearly that this creditor was violating the law on reporting incorectly

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.