Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with civil judgement? - **NEW INFORMATION**

tag
Candice
Contributor

Help with civil judgement? - **NEW INFORMATION**

SEE REPLY BELOW FOR UPDATES Smiley Happy

So, I am in need of some guidance, as usual! I have a civil judgement/public record/legal item (three different titles on three different reports). I pulled all 3 reports from myfico on 8/15. They all state this alleged judgement. The only things being reported are the date filed (8/2007) and the amount ($558). There are three different case numbers for each report but I find it hard to believe that I had 3 separate judgements for the same amount all in the same month. I disputed w/ TU and EQ and they came back and said that it was valid, but did not provide me with any info. I have NO IDEA what this is for (unless, read below) - I have some collections for speeding tickets on my records but if it is not that then I have not the slightest clue. So, my question - who do I contact to find out who is reporting? Can the CRAs give me that information? AND...could this be a double from one of the collections? Timing seems about right and so does the amount...so could Alliance One be listing it as a collection, and at the same time could the courts be reporting its a judgement. And last but not least - how the heck do I get this off once I find out what it is in regards to?

Message Edited by Candice on 08-29-2008 11:49 AM

Message Edited by Candice on 08-29-2008 11:51 AM
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with civil judgement?

Do you have free reports or actuall paid for reports
free reports dont have enough info to to help you.
Message 2 of 13
Candice
Contributor

Paid reports...all from here. The date, amount, and the three random account numbers are the only things being reported.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit report should list which court is reporting.  The docket # listed on credit report can be used to call the court and they will tell you who is reporting.  Also, if you were not served properly to attend court for these judgement, then you maybe able to have them vacated by the court.  Once they are vacated, you can send this info to CRAs.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

even from here they are very limited on info
I would first go to each cra and get a new report
these will be more helpful to you all details are provided
check out the link in first post ...
Message 5 of 13
cw81
Frequent Contributor

@Candice wrote:
So, I am in need of some guidance, as usual!

I have a civil judgement/public record/legal item (three different titles on three different reports). I pulled all 3 reports from myfico on 8/15. Get your reports from the individual CRAS there will be more detail They all state this alleged judgement.

The only things being reported are the date filed (8/2007) and the amount ($558). There are three different case numbers for each report but I find it hard to believe that I had 3 separate judgements for the same amount all in the same month.

I disputed w/ TU and EQ and they came back and said that it was valid, but did not provide me with any info. I have NO IDEA what this is for (unless, read below) - I have some collections for speeding tickets on my records but if it is not that then I have not the slightest clue.

So, my question - who do I contact to find out who is reporting? Can the CRAs give me that information? AND...could this be a double from one of the collections? Timing seems about right and so does the amount...so could Alliance One be listing it as a collection, and at the same time could the courts be reporting its a judgement.

And last but not least - how the heck do I get this off once I find out what it is in regards to?

Start by getting your reports from the CRA's , myfico doesnt give you full details. Then go from there. Good luck
Message 6 of 13
Candice
Contributor

So I just called Alliance One to see if they knew anything about the judgement on my credit report and they said that they have the judgement against me. I thought only courts can place a judgement? The lady was (shockingly) very nice and said that if I pay the account in full then it will reflect that the judgment has been paid, but it will still be on the credit reports. Any advice? I have to make a decision regarding these things by September 2nd.
Message 7 of 13
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Candice,

A judgment will remain on your credit report for 7 years from the filing date regardless of whether it is paid or not.  I think some states they allow a judgement to be renewed but I'm not sure on that.  With regards to the Sept 2nd deadline, I'm not sure why she is giving you this.  Probably just to scare you into paying it.  A paid judgment will look the same as an unpaid one except on manual review.  The only way to get this off your credit is to file a motion to vacate the judgement.  Otherwise, you could pay it at any time to get it updated to paid.  Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 13
Candice
Contributor

Thanks for the help….my major question is though, shouldn’t I have been served with this judgment or something? I am confused as to how this could have happened without my knowing and then it just appears on my credit report? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Message 9 of 13
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Candice,

What state are you in?  That will determine what they needed to do in order to serve you.  Some states require them to serve you in person, others can just mail it to your last know address.  What I would do is call the courthouse where the judgment was filed.  Speak with the clerk of the court and ask them how you were served.  Then I would ask what constitues proper service.  If they missed a step here then you can file the motion to vacate on improper service. 

On a side note, I found out about a judgment by pulling my credit.  I didn't know anything about it.  Unfortuantely, in my state, all the creditor needs to do is mail you something to show proper service.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.