cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with increasing score for mortgage, sooner than later.

tag
775orbust
Valued Member

Help with increasing score for mortgage, sooner than later.

My credit was in a pretty good place, but a month ago I paid off my only installment loan and my score plummeted up to 20 points.  I am looking into getting a new car. It is 36k. I figured this would be help with increasing my score or wouldnt it be?

My goal is to have a higher mortgage score to qualify for good mortgage rates. I included what I owe below. I can pay off all of my consumer debt right now but was fearful in doing so as I'm afraid of another credit score plunge. Please help me devise the most optimal plan and getting my score up. I'm desperate, worried and scared I'll never be able to get a reason able mortgage.

These are my scores:

Equifax 708, mortgage score 708

Transunion 746, mortgage score 701

Experian 736, mortgage score 709

I owe:

Capital one $179.70/$3500

Discover $670/$5500

PayPal $294/$2900

Student loans:

Aes- owe $4200

Great lakes- owe $15000

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Help with increasing score for mortgage, sooner than later.

@775orbust wrote:

My credit was in a pretty good place, but a month ago I paid off my only installment loan and my score plummeted up to 20 points.  I am looking into getting a new car. It is 36k. I figured this would be help with increasing my score or wouldnt it be?

My goal is to have a higher mortgage score to qualify for good mortgage rates. I included what I owe below. I can pay off all of my consumer debt right now but was fearful in doing so as I'm afraid of another credit score plunge. Please help me devise the most optimal plan and getting my score up. I'm desperate, worried and scared I'll never be able to get a reason able mortgage.

These are my scores:

I owe:

Discover $670/$5500

PayPal $294/$2900

Student loans:

Aes- owe $4200

Great lakes- owe $15000

If you can get the cards paid down to AZEO that will help. If you have the funds. Get rid of Great Lakes and leave AES as your lonely installment loan and pay it below 8%. You'll be in FICO bonus land then.

Message 2 of 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Don't waste your money paying off student loans hoping for a boost in MORTGAGE scores, that trick really only works with FICO8 scores 

@775orbust your scores are not that bad, while you won't currently qualify for the "best" rates you should still be able to get the "reasonable" rate that you want especially if you implement AZEO before applying. 

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@775orbust wrote:

These are my scores:

I owe:

Discover $670/$5500

PayPal $294/$2900

Student loans:

Aes- owe $4200

Great lakes- owe $15000

If you can get the cards paid down to AZEO that will help. If you have the funds. Get rid of Great Lakes and leave AES as your lonely installment loan and pay it below 8%. You'll be in FICO bonus land then.

Message 3 of 9
775orbust
Valued Member

Thanks for the response. I mean I have money to pay off the great lakes but allocating that towards other things at this point that are a little more priority at this time

Message 4 of 9
775orbust
Valued Member

Message 5 of 9
775orbust
Valued Member

I'm going to work towards the azeo. Should be good on friday. However I'm afraid this will drop my score even more

Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontearsStudent loans are like any other installment loans. Add up whatever the starting credit lines for the 2 loans. Then add up the balances and substract that from the original credit lines. Theres your util %. Paying off the 1 loan not knowing what the original credit line was on the larger balance. It leaves the 1 loan at whatever % which will help with overall util on the installments and it will help mortgage scores due to lower util and less DTI.

Message 7 of 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@dragontearsStudent loans are like any other installment loans. Add up whatever the starting credit lines for the 2 loans. Then add up the balances and substract that from the original credit lines. Theres your util %. Paying off the 1 loan not knowing what the original credit line was on the larger balance. It leaves the 1 loan at whatever % which will help with overall util on the installments and it will help mortgage scores due to lower util and less DTI.

Well if loan utilization actually had a large effect on MORTGAGE scores you would be right, however there is almost no effect that any one has found, unless you have personal data points to add that says otherwise?

Paging @SouthJamaica as he did a lot of testing in this area.

Message 8 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Well if loan utilization actually had a large effect on MORTGAGE scores you would be right, however there is almost no effect that any one has found, unless you have personal data points to add that says otherwise?

Paging @SouthJamaica as he did a lot of testing in this area.

When I pass the major milestones in installment utilization (9% and 0%), my TU FICO 4 has respondend similarly to my FICO 8's but with much less signal strength. E.g., a 30 point gain in FICO 8 might be worth 6 or 7 points in TU FICO 4. Neither EX 2 nor EQ 5 budged a point.

@Revelatefound that he had a similarly weak reaction in EX FICO 2, and no reaction at all in TU FICO 4 or EQ FICO 5. Bottom line we each had a slight change in one score and no change in the other two.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.