Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with medical collection that keeps reporting

tag
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Help with medical collection that keeps reporting

NOT MINE**A Company has several medical collections for 3 different hospitals. They WILL NOT ...PFD,,,   They will not delete onces paid , OC will take payment for Collection company , it will update as Paid.

Here is the problem

every 6 months, the remove all collections, then reinsert as new collections. They dont change any other original information so I  cant get them on that. But,,,,  knowing they do this every 6mo.  If the bill was paid  to to the OC the day the report showed removed, could they ( CA) legally put it back on ?

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with medical collection that keeps reporting

A pertinent factor not provided (and probably unknown to you is WHY) they reported deletion.

Were they required to have done so, or was it purely voluntary on their part?

As a bit of background, nothing in either statute or regulation requires deletion (or precludes reporting) of a collection by a debt collector who has, at any prior time, had or has collection authority, so a debt collector is not precluded from reporting under the stated scenario.

However, the big-3 CRAs have a common administrative reporting policy, as stated in their common credit reporting manual ("Credit REporting Resource Guide") that a debt collecto must delete a reported collection IF their collection authority has been terminated while the debt remains unpaid.

It is unlikely, in the posted scenario, that the creditor is removing assigned collection authority from the debt collecto, and then re-establishing a formal assignment each time the collection has been removed, so it is likely that the deletion and reinsertion of the reported collection is a voluntary decision of the debt collector.  

If that is the case, then there is no legal, regulatory, or reporting guideline that precludes their resinsertion at any time, even if you get the crreditor to accept payment, unless you can show that the creditor had terminated assignment of collection authority prior to your having paid the debt.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ktl72455 wrote:

NOT MINE**A Company has several medical collections for 3 different hospitals. They WILL NOT ...PFD,,,   They will not delete onces paid , OC will take payment for Collection company , it will update as Paid.

Here is the problem

every 6 months, the remove all collections, then reinsert as new collections. They dont change any other original information so I  cant get them on that. But,,,,  knowing they do this every 6mo.  If the bill was paid  to to the OC the day the report showed removed, could they ( CA) legally put it back on ?

2 of my 3 SL services do this on a regular basis. 1 does it quarterly and another does this konthly or more. It definitely hurts my scores because it is "newly reported derogatory account" and keeps it hitting fresh. I hate this. I cannot wait to be done with SL rehabs.

The only way to stop them doing that is for them to be dealt with, which seems to be an issue in your case. A paid collection is better than unpaid. It will not have the same affect on your scores as having it removed, but they will stop reporting monthly, from them removing and reinserting themselves into your credit reports, and keeping your scores suppressed. Your scores can start to heal and will slowly increase as they age the closer they get to 7 years old from DoFD and then will eventually fall off your CRs.

Creditors are not required to do PFD, it is nice when some do, though!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ktl72455 wrote:

Here is the problem

and to answer your specific question, they may have recalled the debt from the CA and that is why it has been removed this time.

I do not believe they can reinsert themselves on your CRs once removed and then paid since they will no longer have the authority to collect on that account.

That is what I have done a couple times now. I waited until the CA came off, called the OC and paid/settled, and then never saw another CA entry regarding that account again.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What do you mean by "NOT MINE"? If it isnt yours. Why pay anything that doesnbt belong to you? Please explain for better details.

Message 5 of 8
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

What do you mean by "NOT MINE"? If it isnt yours. Why pay anything that doesnbt belong to you? Please explain for better details.

I am helping a friend repair her credit and I noticed this with that one collection agency, they remove, and reinsert, remove and reinsert. I havent seen that before during or after my rebuild so came here to ask.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Courtesy of @gdale6 

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ktl72455 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I am helping a friend repair her credit and I noticed this with that one collection agency, they remove, and reinsert, remove and reinsert. I havent seen that before during or after my rebuild so came here to ask.

Happens all the time, just another way to annoy you and attempt to get you to settle, it is legal

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.