Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with my Credit Profile

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with my Credit Profile

Below is a full picture of my credit profile. Can anyone please give advice on what I need to do next in order to be approved for a mortgage in the next few months? As you can see i recently paid off in full all charge offs and collections and am waiting for my report to update for two of them. looking for advice on what to do next. 

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Cap One Auto Finance  (we traded in both our cars for a family SUV)

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

No lates, Pays account as agreed 

Capital One CC - AUTHORIZED USER

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Last reported balance - $286 (i paid this down to $0 and should report on the 15th or 16th)

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Last reported balance - $0 (plan on reporting about $20 this month)

Dept of Ed - Navient (consolidated student loans)

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

No lates, pays account as agreed

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

7 Dept of Ed/Navient student loans various amounts - closed

Opened various times between 2014 and 2016

reporting one 90 day late payment for all 7 accounts - Sept 2018

Capital One CC

Charge off - DOFD - Dec 2019

Updated to Paid in Full 12/2021

Local Credit Union Auto Loan 

Opened Account - 05/2017

Three 30 day lates - 08/2019, 09/2019, 02/2020

mailed goodwill letter Jan 7, 2022

Credit Acceptance Co Auto Loan

No lates - paid account as agreed. 

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Elan Financial Servi - CC 

Charge Off - last updated 11/2021

Last reported balance - $433 (just paid this off in full waiting for it to update)

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

Just completed a PFD will fall off in 30 - 45 days - waiting for report to update.

FICO SCORE 8

EQ: 624

TU: 589

EX: 606

MORTGAGE SCORES: (1/3/2022)

EQ: 617

TU: 590

EX: 552 

EDITED to add Mortgage Scores

8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Help with my Credit Profile

Its best to have 3 revovlers in your name and have only 1 report or AZEO. But you want a mortgage really soon. Getting new credit before a mortgage will lower your score for one. And lenders dont really go for new credit 6 months to a year before applying. So really you only have 1 revolving account and 1 loan. Cant count the AU card. FICO like 3 cards and a loan for the best credit mix in a rebuild. Talk to a lender and see what they say. JMO of course. Build up your score first. Higher scores. Lower interest which is thousands and thousands saved over the life of the loan rather than just getting a house real soon. The market may cool down some then too after more rebuilding on your end. Others will chime in on their thoughts.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Below is a full picture of my credit profile. Can anyone please give advice on what I need to do next in order to be approved for a mortgage in the next few months? As you can see i recently paid off in full all charge offs and collections and am waiting for my report to update for two of them. looking for advice on what to do next. 

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Last reported balance - $286 (i paid this down to $0 and should report on the 15th or 16th)

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

Capital One CC

Opened Account - 05/2017

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Last reported balance - $433 (just paid this off in full waiting for it to update)

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

Just completed a PFD will fall off in 30 - 45 days - waiting for report to update.

FICO SCORE 8

First in order to figure out the best cause of action there is more info needed called DP's

Your combined montly income before taxes is needed.

Lets look at that new car loan with Cap 1

How many years is it for? what is the monthly payment? what is the interest rate?

The $300 CL card that is open. You can not use more then $60 on it or you will take a score hit. The $800 card you can not use more then $200 or the same will happen.

Paid CO's will still remain on your credit reports for 7 years, but once paid off they stop reporting. So utilization will help you but a CO is one of the worst things you can have on your credit reports. this would limit you to a future FHA or VA loan if applicable if you can increase your credit scores.

What makes you think the collection at IC Systems will fall off your report? is it now 7 years old? paying a collection or charge off does not remove it from your credit report.

You really should try to get your scores up to 620 or you will find interest rates on a new mortgage will be too high. If you can qualify at all.

That new car loan is most important right now so please provide the info I requested above. I know it is a big loan but it is most important that if you want  mortgage that you never pay this car loan late. Paying it just one month late may kill your chances at a mortgage loan at all.

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

Capital One CC

Opened Account - 05/2017

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

FICO SCORE 8

@Anonymous  see below in red, thank you so much!!! 

First in order to figure out the best cause of action there is more info needed called DP's

My monthly income is $6666.66 (80,000 annual). The car loan is joint between me and my fiance and we will both be applying for the mortgage, our combined monthly income is $9,440 ( i believe the car loan will be counted only once for out total DTI). 

How many years is it for? what is the monthly payment? what is the interest rate?

Car loan is for 72 months, monthly payment is ~780, interest is somewhere in the 6% range. 

The $300 CL card that is open. You can not use more then $60 on it or you will take a score hit. The $800 card you can not use more then $200 or the same will happen.

Im an AU on this account, it will report 1 or 2 dollars a month from here on out. 

Paid CO's will still remain on your credit reports for 7 years, but once paid off they stop reporting. So utilization will help you but a CO is one of the worst things you can have on your credit reports. this would limit you to a future FHA or VA loan if applicable if you can increase your credit scores.

What makes you think the collection at IC Systems will fall off your report? is it now 7 years old? paying a collection or charge off does not remove it from your credit report.

I did a PFD for this Collection

You really should try to get your scores up to 620 or you will find interest rates on a new mortgage will be too high. If you can qualify at all.

Thats my goal or else we plan on waiting. 

That new car loan is most important right now so please provide the info I requested above. I know it is a big loan but it is most important that if you want  mortgage that you never pay this car loan late. Paying it just one month late may kill your chances at a mortgage loan at all.

we are in a very good spot financially and have a savings safety net so nothing like this ever happens again.  weve been working tirelessly the last 2 years to improve our financial picture. Thank you so much for all of your input, it is sincerely appreciated! 

Thanks

Mark

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also want to add that my current mortgage scores as of 1/3/2022 were the below, please note that the paid collections and charge off were not reflected in these scores yet:

EQ: 617

TU: 590

EX: 552 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Its best to have 3 revovlers in your name and have only 1 report or AZEO. But you want a mortgage really soon. Getting new credit before a mortgage will lower your score for one. And lenders dont really go for new credit 6 months to a year before applying. So really you only have 1 revolving account and 1 loan. Cant count the AU card. FICO like 3 cards and a loan for the best credit mix in a rebuild. Talk to a lender and see what they say. JMO of course. Build up your score first. Higher scores. Lower interest which is thousands and thousands saved over the life of the loan rather than just getting a house real soon. The market may cool down some then too after more rebuilding on your end. Others will chime in on their thoughts.

@FireMedic1 Thank you so much for responding! Yeah i messed up, i should have gotten more ccs when we started the rebuild but I messed up. we started rebuilding about a year and a half ago and applied to CCs in may of 2021. I dont want to take anymore inquires or anymore accounts that will take down my average age when we plan to be applying fairly soon. I believe my Mortgage scores would qualify us for an FHA loan currently but its not ideal. Im hoping to get to a middle score of at least 620 right now (has not included the paid of collection, decreace in Utilization, or paid CO yet) my Mortgage scores as of 1/3/2022 are sitting at EQ: 617 TU:590 EX: 552. But again, we are really trying to pull for a 620

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

Capital One CC

Opened Account - 05/2017

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

FICO SCORE 8

My monthly income is $6666.66 (80,000 annual). The car loan is joint between me and my fiance and we will both be applying for the mortgage, our combined monthly income is $9,440 ( i believe the car loan will be counted only once for out total DTI). 

Car loan is for 72 months, monthly payment is ~780, interest is somewhere in the 6% range. 

Im an AU on this account, it will report 1 or 2 dollars a month from here on out. 

we are in a very good spot financially and have a savings safety net so nothing like this ever happens again.  weve been working tirelessly the last 2 years to improve our financial picture. Thank you so much for all of your input, it is sincerely appreciated! 

Thanks

Mark

The car loan is not that bad. With your interest rate at 6% I do not think it his hurting you at all. 

You really need some higher CL CC's this is what will boost your scores. The old debts as they age they do less damage to your scores.

Do you have $5,000 that you can use to get two secured cards? just let them sit there like a savings account. this will be your future for increased scores. The money will go into a savings account and report every month as an excellent payer even if you never use the cards. Most credit cards will be closed for non use, but not with secured cards. You just pay a small AF each year. I would like to see you get your scores to the 750's this can be done. 

Have you tried good will letters? or disptued any info that is not valid? the more bad items you can get off the report the better. 

A $300 CC or even a $800 CC is just not going to do it. You need the secured cards to get there then in a year go for unsecured higher limit cards, after that you can close the secured cards and get your money back.

If you try for a mortgage with a 620 score you will probably end up with a FHA loan and the fees for those are really high so the higher the score the better.

Thanks

Mark

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Thank you SO much, I just got a bonus actually that's a little less than $5,000 that I can put towards secured cards. Will this hit me badly with my AAoA decreasing?  

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

Capital One CC

Opened Account - 05/2017

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

FICO SCORE 8

Thanks

Mark

The car loan is not that bad. With your interest rate at 6% I do not think it his hurting you at all. 

You really need some higher CL CC's this is what will boost your scores. The old debts as they age they do less damage to your scores.

Do you have $5,000 that you can use to get two secured cards? just let them sit there like a savings account. this will be your future for increased scores. The money will go into a savings account and report every month as an excellent payer even if you never use the cards. Most credit cards will be closed for non use, but not with secured cards. You just pay a small AF each year. I would like to see you get your scores to the 750's this can be done. 

Have you tried good will letters? or disptued any info that is not valid? the more bad items you can get off the report the better. 

A $300 CC or even a $800 CC is just not going to do it. You need the secured cards to get there then in a year go for unsecured higher limit cards, after that you can close the secured cards and get your money back.

If you try for a mortgage with a 620 score you will probably end up with a FHA loan and the fees for those are really high so the higher the score the better.

Thanks

Mark

Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

Open Date - 09/2021 

Balance - $52, 533

(joint CC with fiance)

Open Date - 06/2021

Credit Limit - $300

Capital One CC 

Open Date - 05/2021

Credit Limit - $800

Open Date - 04/2021

Loan Amount - $17,902

CLOSED ACCOUNTS:

Capital One CC

Opened Account - 05/2017

balance - $0 

Opened - 09/2016

Last Updated 06/2017

Credit Limit - $600

DOFD - June 2018

Collections:

IC Systems 

Balance - $108

FICO SCORE 8

Thanks

Mark

Incorrect on usage. Its whats reported on the statement date. You can use all you want of your credit line as long as its paid down <9% before the statement cuts. More usage. Better chance for CLI's. That internet farse of dont use more than 30% of your credit line is just that.

On the other hand the 3 cards (2 secured) will help with the rebuild FICO bonus. You'll gain more with them and play the AZEO game than what your AAoA's will do afterwards. If you AAoA's stays over 2 yrs. You'll be fine.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.