Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, noob here.

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hi everyone, noob here.

@ac921ol wrote:

when I called the agency they said I cant pay it and Id need to pay the dentist, I still havent given them a ring yet, I will on my way home to verify with the dentist if they reported it or not. if they did report it, why would the collection agency tell me that id need to pay the dentist and not the agency that the dentist supposively sent it too.

Smiley Frustrated

Sometimes a "collection agency" reporting does not have a contract to actually collect the debt.   As a landlord, I've looked into different options as far as reporting a collection.   If a person wants to collect a legitamite debt, they have several options:

1. They can pay the collection agency up front to report the debt to the Credit Reports, and to generate notification letters notifying the person that they have a debt owed. They don't actually collect the money, but they do report and send letters.

2. Sign an agreement where the debt is reported, letters are sent, there are no up front costs, but the collection agency keeps a percentage of the proceeds of the collection amount.   In this scenario, the original creditor has to sign an agreement that they will NOT accept a payment from the person who owes the debt, but rather they will make the person pay the collection agency.

3. The debt is sold, and is no longer owned by the original creditor. They could not accept a payment if they wanted to, but they can "chargoff" the amount that is unpaid.

Believe me that you want the first kind!   Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 18
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

Well I talk to the dentist, it seems as if it is number #1. So my question now is, how much wiggle room is there with $837. Any idea, cause its not like the debt got sold for pennies on the dollar Heck it's not like it got sold at all, but did the dentist get some sort of compensation for reporting it Or anything. Also why was the #1 option the better on. Sorry for the rookie questions. 

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 12 of 18
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

Bump.

Message 13 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@ac921ol wrote:

Well I talk to the dentist, it seems as if it is number #1. So my question now is, how much wiggle room is there with $837. Any idea, cause its not like the debt got sold for pennies on the dollar Heck it's not like it got sold at all, but did the dentist get some sort of compensation for reporting it Or anything. Also why was the #1 option the better on. Sorry for the rookie questions. 

No, the Original Creditor did not get compensated for reporting it, they probably had to pay to get it reported.     If you had explained that you were in hardship at the time of service, they probably could have worked with you and charged you less for certain services, or could have worked with you on scheduling the dental work in a way that maximizes both your insurance coverages and your ability to pay.   In one scenario, I could not afford a procedure that was an emergency... in that case my dentists office allowed me to pay $200 at time of service and then every month after that I paid anywhere from $50 to $100  until it was paid. 

I think the time for working with you has passed probably a year and a half ago. It doesn't hurt to ask if they will accept less, but in this case, you want to PIF, not settle.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 18
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

So see if I can lower it and get a statement saying paid in full, is my first option, if not just so payments until its paid in full and get a letter. Or what should I do?

Message 15 of 18
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

if were me I would get the dentist to pull it back from the ca

and/or  also have them put something in writing that once paid

they will remove it from your credit report, a paid collection

scores the same as an unpaid collection.

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 16 of 18
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

I emailed OC and asked for a bill they responded within the subject body of an email, no pdf, no bill, but just one sentence stating. 

"Your balance with us is $837 dating back to Sept/Oct 2009 for a root canal and crown."

I emailed again, and asked

"is there any chance you have an actual bill so I can discuss it with my old insurance company."

there response was.

I can give you a list of the procedures and the dates, but printing a
bill would just show no balance because we have to write it off when
we send it to collections.

09/22/2009
Limited Oral Exam D0140
Periapical D0220
Root Canal D0330

10/07/2009
PFM Crown D2750
Core Buildup D2950

06/30/2010
Recement Crown D2920

So whats going on here? the CA told me I need to pay the OC since they dont own the debt, but then the OC is telling me they already wrote it off, and if they sent a bill then it would state that it was zero balance cause they wrote it off. Not sure if I should send a DV to the Original Creditor or the CA that is on my account (they said they dont have the account, but only report it for the OC) I dont want the dentist taking 2 bites out of the apple if he cant.

any help would be amazing!!! i feel as im so close to something!! lol

Message 17 of 18
10kbkb
Valued Member

Should I contact the dentist office and ask them for a discount. They'd rather have money then no money, so was hoping maybe settle for around $300 (about 36cents to the dollar, or is that way to little for them to offer, they've written it off a year ago) and have them pull the collection..how should I go about about this people???

I only plan on doing this if they still have the debt and havent sold it yet if they sold it, Ill just wait it out possibly.

thanks

*Posting under wifes name, sorry for confusion.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.