cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest likelihood of getting BofA to remove derogatory remarks?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest likelihood of getting BofA to remove derogatory remarks?

Hi, 

So, quick synopsis:

- had money

- perfect credit score (811)

- car repair wiped money

- had just gotten credit limit increase

- transmission on car then blew (after having been wiped out before)

- maxed out credit card and financed another card which was maxed out as well

- started making payments and everything was fine

- came to a point where i couldn't make payments and interest accrued

- made agreements with both banks (synchrony and BofA). synchrony bank gave me the choice of keeping the account open or closing it after debt was paid off ( i decided to close it)

- i thought the agreement was the same with B of A. that id pay it off and come back into good standing

- i made the payments, was brought into good standing, go to use the card and it was declined

- find out that despite making the payments the account was closed

my credit score then fell down to like 540. i have gotten it back up to 680 now. i got an account with capital one for a 300 dollar line (its now 500 and im thinking about asking for a credit limit increase).. my utilization was fairly high last month it my score dropped 40 points; however, i have paid it off to zero this month so it should be increasing again

here's the thing. the Bank of America account is 8 years old; by far the longest in my credit history. 

I have paid off the entire thing. my debt to them is zero. 

Would it be smart for me to try to reopen the Bank of America account, if that's possible. or can i ask them, since I've paid everything off, if they can remove the derogatory remarks on my credit history?

Best to call or email?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
vV35Hszm
Contributor

Re: Highest likelihood of getting BofA to remove derogatory remarks?

Don't they have to remove the negative stuff after 7 years?

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@vV35Hszm wrote:

Don't they have to remove the negative stuff after 7 years?

7 years after the negative information, not after account opening.  OP, most likely you'll want to investigate writing a goodwill letter.  It sounds like the window for possibly reopening the account has passed (I say possibly because it can be a rare result even if done immediately).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, thank you. i appreciate it. i went and looked it up and B of A stated that they don't do goodwill letters nor will they consider it.

so, sounds like i just have to wait for them to have less impact 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.