Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hippa letters

tag
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hippa letters

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, thank you.  You prefer this process and it is quicker?  How do I go about it?   I have two medical issues, very small (under $100), on an flawless credit record.  Actually, I didn't even know they were there until i  was applying for a car loan.  I would appreciate any advice that you can offer.  

How old are the medical collections?  Are they beyond the statute of limitations in your state?  Which credit reporting agencies are they showing on?

Message 11 of 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to the forums.  Below are a couple of links that will help familiarize yourself with the process.  Good Luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/td-p/337142

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issues are from 11/2011 and 02/2010, so fairly recent.  Both are and have been paid.  

They are showing up on Experian.

I do not know the limitations.  One was from MI and the other from FL.  

Message 13 of 25
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The issues are from 11/2011 and 02/2010, so fairly recent.  Both are and have been paid.  

They are showing up on Experian.

I do not know the limitations.  One was from MI and the other from FL.  

Have you tried disputing it as paid on Experian?  It may or may not work but it's quick and easy to try.

I'd start with sending them a good will letter asking them to remove it.  If that doesn't work, try HIPPA.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you tell me about PFD?   Where do I find out how to do this?  Does it work?

Message 15 of 25
kazmax

Can someone please tell me where can I find a sample copy of a HIPPA letter to send to a doctor who have violated my rights sending the collection agency my bill with the service provided.

Message 16 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@kazmax wrote:

Can someone please tell me where can I find a sample copy of a HIPPA letter to send to a doctor who have violated my rights sending the collection agency my bill with the service provided.

That is not a violation of HIPAA.  A 3rd party CA is a covered entity and the doctor can send it to them.  The CA can only send it to you and no one else.

Message 17 of 25
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@kazmax wrote:

That is not a violation of HIPAA.  A 3rd party CA is a covered entity and the doctor can send it to them.  The CA can only send it to you and no one else.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question...  If the CA can send the information only to you, does that mean they can't report it to the CRAs?

I have an old collection acount showing from a dentist bill that insurance aparently didn't pay.

Message 18 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, they can report the debt to the CRAs. It would be coded as a medical. When I stated "only be sent to you", I was referring to the billing itemization that would list all the procedures, etc that you had done. Those cannot be sent to anyone but you.
Message 19 of 25
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:
Yes, they can report the debt to the CRAs. It would be coded as a medical. When I stated "only be sent to you", I was referring to the billing itemization that would list all the procedures, etc that you had done. Those cannot be sent to anyone but you.

OK thank you.  I am worried about this now, because I disputed the debt with EX and TU and I think I may have messed up.  My credit report shows the account is scheduled to be removed 9/2015.  I live in Georgia where I believe the SOL is 6 years.  So if my math is correct it looks like the SOL isn't up untill March.  I hope the CRA disputes do not cause the CA to sue me at the last minute.

Does that math look correct to you?  If it is March when the SOL runs out, is that March 1st or March 31st?

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.