cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity Line -Paid & Closed Negative Impact (Special Case)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Equity Line -Paid & Closed Negative Impact (Special Case)

So I'm helping a friend of a friend out on rebuilding her credit report. Her ex-husband and her had a home equity line together for the house they lived in. Apparently he was incarcerated and the govt placed a hold on the mortgage. She was highly recommended by the attorney not to pay the monthly mortgage as it is money being wasted. After 2 years of legal battle, the govt made a deal to sell the house at market price, paid off the mortgage and then split the rest with her.

All and done, now she has late payments shown on her credit report with Bank of America. The account is marked as Paid and Closed. This was completed in 2012 with the first missing payment in early 2011. So how will this impact her score to this date? She has a few medical bill collections on record and we're taken care of it. All have agreed to delete when paid in full. 

She has an auto loan that never missed a payment and paid off in 2007. She has a JC Penney SYNCHB card from 1995 with $0 that was paid and closed (11/1995). I don't know why it shows up on her EQ report when we ran it last week with Date Reported as 4/13/2106. Thought this would be deleted after 7 years. Besides that, no credit cards. 

Any advice on this home equity line? Will GW for updates of late payment work?

Her credit score is at 569.

Length of Credit History 20Y, 11M.

AAOA: 14Y, 9M

5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Home Equity Line -Paid & Closed Negative Impact (Special Case)

GW can work in this situation. It's already paid, so the PFD isn't an option, but the GW on the late payments might work.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well after talking to numerous BOA reps, we finally got the correct department that's handling it. They want us to send a physical letter stating the request, why we want it, and the history behind the late payments. In her defense, the account was placed on suspension by the US Government, so making a payment was not an option.

Just wrote up the GW letter and will be sending it certified tomorrow morning. If this goes through, she'll be the first person I have helped cleaned up their credit reports using the knowledge gained in this forum.

On another note, was on the phone with a comcast rep and stating that I am cleaning up someone's credit report. Rep stated she is in the same boat, so I gave her some suggestions. She was very appreciative and thank me for all the advice.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got an answer from them. Unfortunately they can't do it as the information is accurate. Should I keep sending another letter? Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who did you write to?  A general address?  If so I would find the contact information of someone higher up in the executive office and send the GW request to them.  

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Who did you write to?  A general address?  If so I would find the contact information of someone higher up in the executive office and send the GW request to them.  

After calling and emailing, everyone said we have to send a physical letter to their Credit Report Department. They don't even have a number and it's only the physical address. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.