Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hospital bill saga

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

Insurance finally paid their portion. I now have 2 collections which are copays. one for $200 and the other for $250(which I believe to be $50 in interest, Thing is, I am fine with paying the total of $450 for both bills as I do believe they are legit. My question is, what is the best possible way to do so WHILE getting these collections removed from my credit reports. Some say to pay the original creditor(ie. the hospital), but what if they choose to claim not to be able to recall the debt(as they have before even though my insurance just paid one of the old aa** claims directly to the hospital less than 2 weeks ago and this was confirmed and recorded by an employee at the hospital.) and I must pay the collection agency? Also, what if they claim they will recall the debt from the collection agency if I make the payment immediately(my past with this hospital hasnt been on the nicest terms) yet they will send nothing in writing to confirm/verify this? Would I be right in assuming that if all goes well and I pay this hospital directly, that I can then file a hippa compaint to get the collection aency to remove the 2 debts from my credit reports regardless of if the hospital truly recalls it or not?

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE

Insurance finally paid their portion. I now have 2 collections which are copays. one for $200 and the other for $250(which I believe to be $50 in interest, Thing is, I am fine with paying the total of $450 for both bills as I do believe they are legit. My question is, what is the best possible way to do so WHILE getting these collections removed from my credit reports. Some say to pay the original creditor(ie. the hospital), but what if they choose to claim not to be able to recall the debt(as they have before even though my insurance just paid one of the old aa** claims directly to the hospital less than 2 weeks ago and this was confirmed and recorded by an employee at the hospital.) and I must pay the collection agency? Also, what if they claim they will recall the debt from the collection agency if I make the payment immediately(my past with this hospital hasnt been on the nicest terms) yet they will send nothing in writing to confirm/verify this? Would I be right in assuming that if all goes well and I pay this hospital directly, that I can then file a hippa compaint to get the collection aency to remove the 2 debts from my credit reports regardless of if the hospital truly recalls it or not?

Paid medical collections are very hard to get removed google the HIPAA Letter Process follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 13 of 17
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Did you pay the hospital directly for the co-pays?

Did you receive a letter stating she would remove the collection accounts?

After it's all said and done, you could argue that the collection agency did not have the account (the hospital did) and the funds were paid to the hospital.

You also need to find out if the accounts were sold to the CA or not.  If they were sold to them, then the debt will exist forever, and can be resold and resold and resold, even though it's not a legit debt.

If the accounts were sold to the CA, the CA owns them.  And legally the hospital was not allowed to accept payment for the debts that they did  not own.

Message 14 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Just my opinion -

1.  The hospital needs to recall the debt from the CA.  The hospital owns the debt and the hospital has accepted the insurance payment.

2.  You should have received an EOB (explaination of benefit) from your insurance company for this claim.  The EOB will state how much you owe the hospital.  

3.  The hospital should be sending you a NEW statement that matches the amount of your EOB.  

4.  You would pay the hospital directly.

5.  Give about 30 days for the dust to settle after your payment has been processed by the hospital.  Check your credit report. If the CA is on there, dispute as not a legit CA.  (At this point, it is not.)

6.  If CA refuses to remove it, then file complaints with BBB, AG, the hospital obudsman, etc.  Stick to the facts.  The insurance company processed the claim on xx.xx.2016.  Per your EOB, you paid your share of costs directly to the hospital on xx.xx.2016.  The payment cleared your account on xx.xx.2016.  To date the collection is still showing your credit report and is not a legit collection.  

+1!

In addition, the collection should be removed per the new National Consumer Assistance Plan guidelines.

You might call the hospital back and speak with a supervisor and mention the new guidelines.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@IOBA wrote:

Just my opinion -

1.  The hospital needs to recall the debt from the CA.  The hospital owns the debt and the hospital has accepted the insurance payment.

2.  You should have received an EOB (explaination of benefit) from your insurance company for this claim.  The EOB will state how much you owe the hospital.  

3.  The hospital should be sending you a NEW statement that matches the amount of your EOB.  

5.  Give about 30 days for the dust to settle after your payment has been processed by the hospital.  Check your credit report. If the CA is on there, dispute as not a legit CA.  (At this point, it is not.)

6.  If CA refuses to remove it, then file complaints with BBB, AG, the hospital obudsman, etc.  Stick to the facts.  The insurance company processed the claim on xx.xx.2016.  Per your EOB, you paid your share of costs directly to the hospital on xx.xx.2016.  The payment cleared your account on xx.xx.2016.  To date the collection is still showing your credit report and is not a legit collection.  

+1!

In addition, the collection should be removed per the new National Consumer Assistance Plan guidelines.

You might call the hospital back and speak with a supervisor and mention the new guidelines.

this hospital has lied to me so much its ridiculous. I mean as I am reading information from the guidelines they are telling me im wrong, but they arent lawyers so they cant argue with me, but they will not help me as Im wrong. Yet the information is in black and white on my screen smh. Not to mention they claim they cant even send me an updated bull post insurance payment... WHAT?!?!?They certainly make you work hard for it don't they? What I dont get is. you're a hospital, why make someone hard to pay you the little money they do owe you, and then SUE YOU(in some cases) for doing illegal shi*. Just take the money that you were after and quitely go away. You'll accept the money from my insurance, then tell me you cant accept any money from me as its illegal to do so? I MUST pay the collection agency? I would go the NCAP guideliness as you mentioned, but Im guessing the best way to go about that would be by mail? I had intentions of paying the 2 co-pays owed anyway, so figured if I'd mail anything, may as well just be the hipaa stuff. then again, these hospital folks are so **bleep** disrespectful and inconsiderate, if I could get one of those collections removed without paying, I kind of want to do so, just as a big "F YOU!"

Message 16 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@IOBA wrote:

Just my opinion -

+1!

this hospital has lied to me so much its ridiculous. I mean as I am reading information from the guidelines they are telling me im wrong, but they arent lawyers so they cant argue with me, but they will not help me as Im wrong. Yet the information is in black and white on my screen smh. Not to mention they claim they cant even send me an updated bull post insurance payment... WHAT?!?!?They certainly make you work hard for it don't they? What I dont get is. you're a hospital, why make someone hard to pay you the little money they do owe you, and then SUE YOU(in some cases) for doing illegal shi*. Just take the money that you were after and quitely go away. You'll accept the money from my insurance, then tell me you cant accept any money from me as its illegal to do so? I MUST pay the collection agency? I would go the NCAP guideliness as you mentioned, but Im guessing the best way to go about that would be by mail? I had intentions of paying the 2 co-pays owed anyway, so figured if I'd mail anything, may as well just be the hipaa stuff. then again, these hospital folks are so **bleep** disrespectful and inconsiderate, if I could get one of those collections removed without paying, I kind of want to do so, just as a big "F YOU!"

Its the reporting CA you need to go after with the new NCAP guidelines not the hospital themselves.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.