Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital debt now with a new CA..Medicredit

tag
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Hospital debt now with a new CA..Medicredit

I have been paying off a hospital debt for the last year via a CA. It never hit my CR thank goodness but now the hospital has taken the debt back and ended their relationship with this CA. Now I called and it must be so new that all the payments haven’t been accounted for since the rep didn’t have my correct balance. He seemed pretty new and just said I have two options pay a percentage (no amount was given and I didn’t  ask for one) or he could set it up with the new agency Medicredit.  I wasn’t really thinking and said okay set it up.  But now I’ve seen some sketchy comments about Medicredit and think I will call Monday and try to settled it at a percentage. It’s only $2,700 but now that my credit is on the mend I don’t want this to set me back.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hospital debt now with a new CA..Medicredit

A new debt collector acquires the right to report their collection at any time, even before any contact with you.

The only requirement needed to report is that they have or have previously acquired collection authority.

You are thus under their discretion as to addition of a collection.

You can contact the new debt collector and make them a pay for not reporting offer, which if they agree becomes a separate contract term to which they must legally honor once you pay or begin payments.

If you simply pay, they can still report their collection, as long as they correctly report that the balance is $0.

I would advise that you first contact them and make a pay for not reporting offer, which will legally protect you from any reporting of their collection.  Hopefully, they will accept.  The higher the percentage you offer, the more likely they are to accept.

Message 2 of 12
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

thank you for the suggestion. Will be on the phone at 8am sharp with the hospital👍🏽

@RobertEG wrote:

A new debt collector acquires the right to report their collection at any time, even before any contact with you.

The only requirement needed to report is that they have or have previously acquired collection authority.

You can contact the new debt collector and make them a pay for not reporting offer, which if they agree becomes a separate contract term to which they must legally honor once you pay or begin payments.

If you simply pay, they can still report their collection, as long as they correctly report that the balance is $0.

I would advise that you first contact them and make a pay for not reporting offer, which will legally protect you from any reporting of their collection.  Hopefully, they will accept.  The higher the percentage you offer, the more likely they are to accept.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I always thought they had to send you something in the mail letting you know they were trying to collect before reporting?  I have had 3 accounts in the past do that and they never actually ended up reporting since I was able to pay, however all my current medical collections on my report, have not ever sent me anything in the mail or tried to call me. (I guess if they don't have to contact you, then I guess it makes sense that I have never heard anything from them.)

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector can report their collection prior to any communication with the consumer.

There is no requirment of statute or regulation that they must first send any notice or initiate any communication with the consumer prior to reporting their collection to a CRA.

The requirment to send an initial collection ("dunning") notice is triggered only if the debt collector has initiated communication with the consumer.  FDCPA 809(a).

That represents their own initiation of attempts to collect on the debt, and thus triggers their requirment to send a dunning notice within 5 days thereafter, advising the consumer of the name of the current owner, the amount of the asserted debt, and advisement of the right of the consumer to request debt validation within 30 days.

Message 5 of 12
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Yes I’m going to try and get this paid even if it is in full. This wacky situation is just crazy.  The hospital says they tried to contact me numerous times before sending it to collections.  Never  did I receive a call or mail of this attempt.  The only way I found out I owed was the one regular statement with the original amount many months later thus prompting ,me to call and try to set up a payment plan.  Then I was informed of the account being sent to the CA. Then I immediately called the CA and  they stated that they sent me a mail indicating they had the account. I asked can you send this again, still nothing so I continue to call and finally I set up a plan and then I get a notice in the mail.  Wow, humanity is really in the sewer.  

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MySunrise271 wrote:

Yes I’m going to try and get this paid even if it is in full. This wacky situation is just crazy.  The hospital says they tried to contact me numerous times before sending it to collections.  Never  did I receive a call or mail of this attempt.  The only way I found out I owed was the one regular statement with the original amount many months later thus prompting ,me to call and try to set up a payment plan.  Then I was informed of the account being sent to the CA. Then I immediately called the CA and  they stated that they sent me a mail indicating they had the account. I asked can you send this again, still nothing so I continue to call and finally I set up a plan and then I get a notice in the mail.  Wow, humanity is really in the sewer.  

That is how all my collections happened. They claimed to have tried reaching out to me several times but I never have heard anything from them. 

Message 7 of 12
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

So finally the hospital has identified they are missing 4 payments from the collection agency. The will go back to them and reconcile the balance which should reflect the last statement I have. Once the hospital has an accurate balance they will offer me a 20% discount to pay in full. Otherwise they will submit to the new balance to the collection agency. Well for now the account is stable. If they are able to match up with my final statement balance I will most certainly accept payment with a 20% discount. Let’s see how long it takes for them to get back to me.
Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would give them a few weeks before my next call if you dont hear, you want to stay on top of it all.
Message 9 of 12
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

The hospital determined the CA entered 4 incorrect payments on their end and therefore the balance was calculated wrong. The hospital will keep the account with the same payments as I had with agency beginning in May.  So it’s all fine for now.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.