cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Best Stick It to Collection Vampires?

tag
afaulkner7
New Visitor

How Do I Best Stick It to Collection Vampires?

Hi all, 

New here, but couldn't find the answer to my dilemma anywhere on the forum already.  Maybe my newbie self isn't searching correctly.  I apologize for the long post in advance.  Anyways, I'm doing relatively well credit-wise for someone just starting to take this seriously.  However, I have one account in collections: 

-- Original medical bill: $174

-- Made payments to bring to $114

-- Set up automatic payments w/ correct payment info for remaining balance, original debtor never took out (small amount, didn't notice it wasn't taken)

-- No notices from original debtor sent indicating payments had not gone through as agreed

-- Year later, collection agency says I owe $588(!), threatens reporting that amount to agency

-- I reply w/in 30 days, dispute with proof for $114 by certifed mail (12/01/13)

-- No reply back about updated information or further collection attempts

-- Report account as 'in collections for $114' two weeks after letter sent.  (12/16/13)

-- Never notified it had been reported, only found out when pulled my credit report when denied for AMEX last month.

So they clearly got my letter and looked at my documentation, and internally updated their amount, but failed to contact me with an updated notice.  I sure as hell wasn't going to pay the $588, but would've paid the $114.  But I guess they took my dispute of the amount as refusal to pay? My question is, arent they required to correct their information, then re-attempt collection before reporting it??  According to the FCRA, they have to notify me within a month of putting something negative on my report.  Which they threatened with the $588, but never notified me that the $114 had been reported to an agency.  Whats my legal/credit rights standing here?

I'm planning on writing a letter asking them to take off the collections info from experian, in exchange for payment in full of the ACTUAL amount owed.  However, I need to know if they're in the wrong by not seeking payment after updating the amount and not notifying me of change/reporting to agency.  Also, is the original debtor at fault for not processing the automatic payments when provided with correct financial information, or does that fall on me not noticing?  Its really bugging me that this happened, especially over a tiny debt!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice on what collections agencies are allowed to report!

I'm a little confused on the situation.  Did you ever receive a dunning notice from the CA?  If so, then them correcting the amount owed is no biggie.  You notified them of a mistake and they corrected it.  They don't have to send you anything else.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
afaulkner7
New Visitor

Re: Need advice on what collections agencies are allowed to report!

I did, but only one.  I never received any attempt to collect before or after the one very strongly-worded letter that seemed completely out of the blue, considering I thought it was long ago resolved.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.