Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many disputes?

tag
Bdaddy23

How Many disputes?

Hi everyone, 

I been reading a lot over the last few months and working on a plan of attack. 

One question i have is, how many accounts can/should i dispute on one letter? Should it be 1 account per letter? Can i disputer 5? 10? 

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Many disputes?

Send a separate letter for each dispute.

That being said, what are you disputing? If it's legitimate errors, go for it. If you're disputing in the hopes of removing legit accounts that you don't like, be aware that most of the time the accounts will be validated/upheld, the dispute dismissed, and your scores will take a further hit from the refreshed reporting of the derog.

Message 2 of 6
Bdaddy23

Everything that i would be disputing are 5 chargeoff and 4 collections from 2014-2015.  Based on my paper reports a lot of them have inaccuracies. : Incorrect balances, DOFD wrong and different on each CRA,  incorrect payment history including occational 30 day reported every other year or so and a couple other things. 

Thank you for your response. I will send 1 letter per account.

As far as my scores taking a hit, i would just want the report to be accurate and whatever score that results in i can work on it long term

Message 3 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Bdaddy23 wrote:

Everything that i would be disputing are 5 chargeoff and 4 collections from 2014-2015.  Based on my paper reports a lot of them have inaccuracies. : Incorrect balances, DOFD wrong and different on each CRA,  incorrect payment history including occational 30 day reported every other year or so and a couple other things. 

Thank you for your response. I will send 1 letter per account.

As far as my scores taking a hit, i would just want the report to be accurate and whatever score that results in i can work on it long term

Also be prepared to wake up all that old debt if they haven't been actively collecting.

Personally, as someone who disputed everything in the start, I did get a couple removed but it created FAR more headaches for me in the long run. It wasn't until I started honing in my PFD/Settlement/GW tactics did I see real progress.

Good luck!

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you file a dispute with a CRA, the CRA is required to forward a copy to the furnisher of the disputed information for their review, investigation, and reply back to the CRA.

Including multiple disputes in the same letter that apply to different creditors or debt collectors can create referral problems, as the dispute letter will then contain information regarding accounts that dont apply to an individual dispute, and thus should not be disclosed to others.

I would always limit each dispute to only a single furnisher (creditor or debt collector), and would only include multiple disputes if they relate to the same furnisher.

Message 5 of 6
Bdaddy23

Thank you all for the advice and tips. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.