Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Realistic is my settlement Plan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settling with NASA FCU (RA Rodgers)

Thanks for your interest input! I would much rather have settlements than a bankruptcy: bankruptcy comes with s public record and is an automatic exclusion for grad plus loans for the first 5 years.
Message 21 of 23
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I too considered bankruptcy before I ultimately decided to do my own settlements. My only option was to file a chapter 13 based on income, which would mean paying back all my debt, plus interest, plus attorney's fees, plus court costs. And they were expecting my husband and I to live on a budget of $2,000 a month for five years while making our BK payments. Our rent is $1,300, so that was completely unrealistic and ridiculous. Settling my debts has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medo wrote:

Also it is not true that settlements has the same effect as BK. It's been reported by many around here that after settling their debt their credit immediately began to rebound with some banks allowing them to get credit a few years later.

Plus I'd rather say 'no' when asked if I've ever filed BK

This is my feeling too! 

I considered bankruptcy but was able to avoid it and I'm glad I did. I know that sometimes it's the best choice and worth it. But I don't regret that I was able to avoid it.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.