Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Remove Medical Collections

tag
Donks3369
Established Contributor

How To Remove Medical Collections

I have three separate medical bills that were sent to collections.  These are now listed as paid on my credit report.  What is the best way to get these removed?  If someone could give me the exact steps that would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How To Remove Medical Collections

You start with the HIPPA  dispute letter.

Dear CRA,
My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.
I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.
I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx reported by xxxxx.
Please advise me as to the name and address of the medical provider, the date and type of service,and to whom the service was provided, as any account I might have had would be obsolete.

If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies

If you can not obtain the information from the original creditor as the law states, and within the 30 day time frame.  Please delete this account from my credit report.

please mail me an updated credit report when the investigation is complete.

Very truly yours,

xxxxxx
Address

Send CMRRR

Message 2 of 7
Donks3369
Established Contributor

And this works for paid collection items?

So I should just send that letter certified, to all three CRA's?  Can I list all three accounts on the same letter or put them each in a separate page?

Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Donks3369 wrote:
And this works for paid collection items?

So I should just send that letter certified, to all three CRA's?  Can I list all three accounts on the same letter or put them each in a separate page?

Thanks for your help.

Donks,

Medical is different than all other collections.  CRA must verify directly with the OC, not the CA.  If verified as paid, the CRA should remove, if not, there are additional steps you can take to have it removed.

It is my understanding you write a separate letter for each account to each CRA, but you can put the letters to each CRA in the same envelope.  i.e. if three account are shown on EQ write a separate letter for each account, but you can put all three letters in the same envelope, to EQ.  Same procedure for each CRA. Be sure to send CMRRR so you will have documention of what you have done, in the event you have to take additional steps or the collections reappear on your CR at a later date.

The letter cited above should take care of paid collection items, if they are not removed make a post letting us know and someone will tell you the next step in the process.

Be sure to send the letter exactly as it is shown to keep your HIPPA rights in tact.

All medical bills should be verifed with CRAs using PreHippa letter to verify the correct amount and DOFD (date of services), whether paid or unpaid.

If this is not the correct procedure I am sure someone here will let us know. 

Good luck!

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:03 PM

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:05 PM

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:07 PM

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:08 PM

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:09 PM
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would use seperate papers for each....they can be mailed  CMRRR together.

It should be deleted IF they contact the OC and is told it is paid.
Message 5 of 7
midwestgirl44
Contributor

Should you include language about having them send you an updated credit report? Wouldn't that show up as an inquiry, then cause you to have to work to get it removed, all the while taking a hit on your credit score? Sorry, just asking.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any and all inquiries that you request personally do not affect your scores.

If you apply for credit, or a CA or other creditor pulls your credit that counts towards the score.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.