cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you supposed to rebuild your credit post bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you supposed to rebuild your credit post bankruptcy?

I'm a little unclear how many credit cards are too many?  I'm doing good and paying everything on time and completely every month.  I'm just trying to understand how I should used my credit cards and if 4 of them is too many?  I also have a mortage and an auto loan.  Does paying them off quicker increase your score at all?  I have been paying them off quicker but didn't know if it was more beneficial to pay off the car or home quicker?  The home might be paid off in 10 years and the car is a 6 year loan with 5 years on it.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Re: How are you supposed to rebuild your credit post bankruptcy?

I don't think 4 cards is too many.

As far as paying off earlier, probably the house since it's a bigger balance. 

Message 2 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Save money for emergencies and pay highest interest rates first.

Less than 10 cards is not too many as long as you can stay on top of them.

Now, too many inquiries and too many newly opened accounts is a different stories.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 11
Fx6cowboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a little unclear how many credit cards are too many?  I'm doing good and paying everything on time and completely every month.  I'm just trying to understand how I should used my credit cards and if 4 of them is too many?  I also have a mortage and an auto loan.  Does paying them off quicker increase your score at all?  I have been paying them off quicker but didn't know if it was more beneficial to pay off the car or home quicker?  The home might be paid off in 10 years and the car is a 6 year loan with 5 years on it.

I picked up 9 cc after my discharge, I think 4 is fine. I have had no issues building with a total of 12 new accounts post dc. I just need to let this age now for at least a year.

Started from the bottom now I'm here. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Don’t rack up new debt

2. Save Save Save for an emergency. 8 months of salary or expenses.

3. Pay off car.

4. Then if you want to pay more on mortgage.

Those basic steps, especially 1 and 2 will keep you from ever getting back in the same situation again.

Message 5 of 11
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

Four is not too many cc's.It's how you manage your credit accounts that's most important.On all your credit accounts keep paying on time monthly.As the derogatory accounts age and do not acquire any more derogatory information your Fico score will improve.Keep balances on all cc's below 6% and for more credit score points learn the azeo method before any apps.Try to keep your oldest cc open.As long as you have one open installment loan you will be fine.If you pay off for example the auto loan you will have one less installment loan balance you will receive about less then ten credit score points.Small potatoes.That's an estimate.And only open credit accounts that you absolutely need.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Don’t rack up new debt

2. Save Save Save for an emergency. 8 months of salary or expenses.

3. Pay off car.

4. Then if you want to pay more on mortgage.

Those basic steps, especially 1 and 2 will keep you from ever getting back in the same situation again.

Car first huh?  I was a bit on the fence since the house and the car are both low interest.  House is 5% and the car is 3.8% which makes no sense really, but it is just the way it is.  

Message 7 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It only takes 3 cards and a loan to achieve the FICO bonus I call it. You can pay off the car and still have the installment part from your mortgage for the credit mix FICO likes. The extra cards help show responsibility to the bigger lenders you can handle credit. I settled with 7 accounts open and a total of 9 cards (2 closed by me) in 2 and a half yrs.  Your fine.

Message 8 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Fx6cowboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I picked up 9 cc after my discharge, I think 4 is fine. I have had no issues building with a total of 12 new accounts post dc. I just need to let this age now for at least a year.

On a side note. Hope your gardening and get your util down. I read your siggy. Its grow time.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Fx6cowboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On a side note. Hope your gardening and get your util down. I read your siggy. Its grow time.

Gardening?  I just charge a little bit on the 4 cards every month if that is what you mean.  I honestly could use another income stream.  If my wife wasn't in school I would probably make a lot more than $50,000 a year.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.