cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I dispute a hard inquiry from a collection agency?

tag
Ne0

How can I dispute a hard inquiry from a collection agency?

Hello, thank you in advance for any response. This collection agency did a hard inquiry on me with out my authorization, is this possible and can I dispute it?

PLAZA RECOVERY, INC 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Barris
Established Member

Re: How can I dispute a hard inquiry from a collection agency?

CAs do not require your authorization to run a hard inquiry on your report as long as they have legitimate vested financial interest. Maybe they are collecting on a late or default?

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How can I dispute a hard inquiry from a collection agency?

The FCRA is intentionally structured to permit inquiries for a consumer credit report without specific consumer authorization provided the purpose of the inquiry is one of more of the permissible purposes outlined in section 604.  Otherwise, haindling of credit and business transactions would come to a crawl.

Section 604 specifically authorizes pull of a consumer credit report if the permissible purpose is collection on a debt.

That assumes the debt collector has legitimate collection authority, either by way of assignment from the current creditor, or by purchase of the debt.

Coding as either a so-called "hard" or "soft" inquiry, other than inquiries pertaining to promotional offers for credit, are not regulated under the FCRA.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.