cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can one bad account completely ruin my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'll do my best to make this brief so I save you the time of reading too much detail.  I bought a computer at best buy somewhere around 2009/2010, and they "convinced" me to use their 0% financing option, which is the only reason I opened the Best buy account in the first place.  

I eventually paid of the card in full, and closed it with a zero balance.

My identity was stolen in late 2012 becuase of an apartment complex in San Francisco with sloppy data management practices.  About 3-4 months after it was stolen, the best buy account suddenly had a $9,150 balance out of nowhere!  I never paid a single dime, but eventually this account was closed with a note saying "all payments have been made".

As I look at my journey from a credit score of 790 to about 620, about 80+% of the change can be attributed to this one stupid card that never had a late payment and never had an interest charge!

What do I do?  How do I get the credit agencies to forget about this card altogether????

PLEASE HELP!

-DEREK

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How can one bad account completely ruin my credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Payment history is 35%

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

...and IMO that should make sense given that creditors have to rely on your history to assess what your credit will be like in the future.  Derogs are always a major issue so do whatever it takes to avoid them.  If you do end up with derogs then do what you can to address them.  The Rebuilding subforum is designed for this.

Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How can one bad account completely ruin my credit score?

Moved to rebuilding forum

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.