Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I contact CAs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I contact CAs?

I have a number of outstanding medical bills which were sent to CAs and are now on my credit report. How do I get contact information for these so that I can address them? And how do I know which things if I paid them would significantly repair my credit? Thanks!

Message Edited by taking_charge on 05-31-2008 03:40 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I contact CAs?

Welcome to the FICO Forums!  I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu.  If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Abuse to a Moderator” link to asking the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Abuse to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.  Thanks for your contribution to the FICO Forums!

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Whychat's letters...for medical collections...

www.whychat.5u.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

taking_charge wrote:
I have a number of outstanding medical bills which were sent to CAs and are now on my credit report. How do I get contact information for these so that I can address them? And how do I know which things if I paid them would significantly repair my credit? Thanks!

Message Edited by taking_charge on 05-31-2008 03:40 PM

Paying collections do not help your score, but does make your credit report look better during a manual review.

You would want to know DOFD, DOLA, and SOL for each account before beginning repair.

You can find SOL here -

Your credit report should list contact information for each of your creditors.

Where did you pull your reports from?

As slyhouse suggested, read whychat's website when dealing with medical debt.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical bills are different then other debts!!!  do not call a CA.

To protect your rights under HIPAA, you should not write or correspond with a Collection Agency regarding a medical collection account within SOL.
This process is not applicable if the account is valid and you are unable to pay.  The medical claim must either be paid, inaccurate, or you are prepared to remit the valid correct amount due with the HIPAA letter.
The Pre-HIPAA letter is sent to the CRA to dispute medical collection accounts on your CR that are within SOL and are:  paid, valid but unpaid, "not mine" or inaccurate.
  1. Dispute a paid medical collection directly with the CRA and they should delete.  If not deleted, but verified, send HIPAA letter (Whychat's process - insert b). 
  2. Dispute valid but unpaid medical collections because you need the CRA to verify the balance.  There may be no valid balance due and the CRA will delete.  Only after the CRA has verified and you agree that the amount is correct is the HIPAA letter sent with payment (Whychat's process - insert a).  The payment amount should be the same amount as was verified by the CRA and on your CR.
  3. If the medical collection account is "not mine" or inaccurate, you need to have disputed the medical collection listing with the CRA.  Only after the CRA verifies and does not delete an invalid or inaccurate medical collection do you send the HIPAA letter (Whychat's process - insert a or b).

KNOW your SOL!!   If you know the hosp. or DR that you owe  go through them first  with the HIPAA letters
You will be told to dispute with the CRAs first to get the exact info.reported. BUT I would call the OC and get the info. direct from them first so that you know that it is correct........then go from there.
Do a web search for the HIPAA letter.  READ EVERYTHING and follow the directions.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.