Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I deal with this?

tag
ficofreaks
Valued Member

How do I deal with this?

I lived in an apartment complex from 2005-2006.  I looked up my credit and noticed that the apartment complex is not showing up on my credit report, but IQ Data Inc. is but shows in the comments section that the OC is my old apartment complex.  I called IQ data (my first mistake..should have sent them a letter) on the 30th of March and asked them to send me something showing that I owed this debt.  The gal there said that she had my signed lease agreement and since we moved out early we owed concession and a carpet replacement charge, interest, blah blah blah.  She said she was sending out the signed lease agreement showing that we agreed to the concession charge.  Anyway, in the meantime I contacted the apartment complex (which isn't even showing on my credit report) and they were unable to find my file and they sent me this letter:

Dear XXX,
XXX Management is the new management company for XXX  in XXX.  We started managing this property as of March 15, 2011.  We are unable to locate your file from 2006 and have determined that you do not owe any money to the property.  Since XXX has no record of your residence we are not reporting any derogatory accounts to any of the three credit bureaus.

Do not hesitate to call me should you have any questions.  I can usually be reached in the management office, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

I have, to date, not received anything from the collection company that claimed they have a signed lease agreement.  

So my question is, what should I do in this case?  Thanks to all!

Starting Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Current Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How do I deal with this?

Your only option is to dispute the information with IQ Data Inc.  Apparently the apartment complex sold your account the collection agency before new mangament took over.  New management obviously have no interest in former tenants files and didn't retain records. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.