cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove Collection account from my credit report?

tag
CoLeTiTA

How do I remove Collection account from my credit report?

I just checked my Credit Karma and my credit reports from AnnualCreditReport.com and I saw a huge dip in my TransUnion score that occurred last month. Apparently, 3 years ago, my previous apartment charged me for a short-term lease premium shortly after I left them which I was unaware of. And because I didn’t pay for it, it went to collections (to National Credit System) which hugely dropped my credit score only last month.
The debt is only about $100 which I don’t have any problem paying off, but it seems that simply paying them probably won’t clear off the bad mark; so, I haven't paid them off yet. I have NEVER been contacted by the National Credit System so far and I haven’t reached out to them. What should I do to make sure that this collection is removed from my credit report ASAP so that my FICO scores improve? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GoHooterGo
Regular Contributor

Re: How do I remove Collection account from my credit report?

Offer a Pay for Delete (PFD) which means you will pay the entire balance owed in full of the Collection Agency agrees to delete/remove tradeline from Credit Reporting Bureaus

Starting Scores FICO8 - 02-23-2022

Current Scores FICO8

Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

NCS has been known to PFD. Call them and ask for a PFD. For such a small amount they just might do it. Plus its best to pay your debts for future credit moves. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 10
CoLeTiTA

Thank you all for your suggestions!

How do I make sure that they will delete the collection account after I pay? Like, what if they don’t remove my collection account after I pay?

Also, how long might it take for the collection to be deleted and my score to be updated by the credit bureau?

Message 4 of 10
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@CoLeTiTA  . . . Yes, they offer a Pay for Delete (PFD) and will delete/remove tradeline from Credit Reporting Bureaus within 30 days. I think mine took about 2 weeks for Experian to update their records . . . but that was several years ago. Best wishes in resolving this issue in your favor. Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 10
CoLeTiTA

Thanks! Would it be better to mail a Pay for Delete letter? Or will a phone call be safe to offer PFD?

Message 6 of 10
lucknpat
Contributor

I would call as most CAs will not put a PFD in writing. Plus, calling and doing the PFD will make it faster than a letter.

FICO8 - 8/2019
EX 510, TU 538, EQ 497

FICO8 - 11/27/2021
EX 528, TU 584, EQ 558

FICO 8 - 4/4/2022
EX 623, TU 629, EQ 650
Message 7 of 10
CoLeTiTA

Ok! What are the important things to consider when calling them for PFD? Or is it a simple process where they will easily accept PFD?

Message 8 of 10
CoLeTiTA

I called them and they agreed on PFD and it went smooth. I really hope that my score regains back to normal.🤞 Thank you all for your help! ☺️

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For your future reference here are some PFD letter examples that may help you construct a letter to your creditor. Grats on getting the PFD on this one!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.