cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I write a goodwill letter? What to include?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I write a goodwill letter? What to include?

I have read a lot about writing goodwill letters to old companies that I have past delinquencies with but I am unfamiliar with what i should put in the letter and exactly what I am asking for.  If I have collection agencies that reported do I also send them a letter? Also, who do I write to and how do I obtain the addresses? Is it better to email or write and mail? I'm sorry about all the questions but the people on this forum seem very knowledgable and I can really use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do I write a goodwill letter? What to include?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read a lot about writing goodwill letters to old companies that I have past delinquencies with but I am unfamiliar with what i should put in the letter and exactly what I am asking for.  If I have collection agencies that reported do I also send them a letter? Also, who do I write to and how do I obtain the addresses? Is it better to email or write and mail? I'm sorry about all the questions but the people on this forum seem very knowledgable and I can really use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance everyone!!

I'd follow the examples in this forum as a guide, though I suggest customizing each vs. looking cookie-cutter. IMO, shorten it to a half-page (people don't like to read) and if there was a life event or situation that led to being late, then mention that in a sentence or two tops. I also recommend avoid using "I". The best formula is to mention the biz relationship, mention the event, mention the steps (in a sentence) you took going forward to correct the future payment history so that it doesn't happen again, and to throw out specifically what you'd like them to do (in a sentence). Also include identifying info (e.g. acct numbers, your name, etc.) to make it easier for them to find you in their computers.

When making a request, be specific. If you have 5 lates from 3/2008 to 7/2008, and you want them deleted, then state exactly that. If you have a CO and you want them to delete then say that. If you have a CO and you don't want a deletion due to the history, then specifically ask for all the lates to be removed and the CO comment too. A MUST: pull your CRs first directly from the CRAs to see the full 7-yr history.

IMO, start by sending it to the address as listed on your CR. The folks at that address handle the reporting. Aside from those addresses, look at SEC filing info, their website, etc.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.