Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they do this?

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: How do they do this?

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow. That's really awesome. Congrats! I think my problem is simply that I have too few good accounts. But, everyone on here tells me I don't need to open more. So, I am taking that advice! Of course, I know ideally these good accounts would have been in the past anyway.

I think part of the reason my credit rebounded so fast when I started rebuilding only a few months ago, is because I kept a few accounts in good standing during my credit crisis. I let 8 accounts go into default/chargeoff/collections, but I made sure I kept 1 credit card, my car loans, and couple other accounts in good standing. So, when I finally paid/settled the negative accounts, my credit was immediately back in the mid-600's.

It's a lesson I learned the hard way. This is the second time I had ruined/rebuilt my credit in my life. The first time, I let ALL my accounts get ruined, and it subsequently took years to rebuild because I was basically starting from scratch (actually, WORSE than starting from scratch, as I had all negative and zero positives!). So the second time my credit started falling apart, I decided to keep a few accounts in good standing so that rebuilding later would be exponentially faster. And it worked Smiley Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense. Wish I wouldn't have missed those payments on my otherwise good accounts. Seems like such small payments now to hurt so much. At the time, I didn't know what my score was, what impact late payments had, etc. Now I do. Lesson learned. Hard to believe I am as old as I am and didn't know this stuff sooner/better. I just always knew you were supposed to pay your bills, of course, but when bad times hit, I didn't handle it the way I should have.
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow. That's really awesome. Congrats! I think my problem is simply that I have too few good accounts. But, everyone on here tells me I don't need to open more. So, I am taking that advice! Of course, I know ideally these good accounts would have been in the past anyway.

Thank you, it’s been quite a bit of guessing along the way since I didn’t find this forum until September last year but I have done okay. 

It definitely helps to have older accounts - my AoOA is 9y3m, AAoA is 2y10m on TU and EX and 3y11m on EQ. 

Just give it time. You don’t need more than three revolvers and one installment account to maximize FICO scoring but as your file thickens, a new account every 6-12 months will just make it thicker. 

Message 23 of 26
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

+1. I may have gone thru 10 cards to end up with 8 cards. But they are cards that I use each month. Some heavier than others. I didnt get cards just to have more cards for bragging rights. Each one no matter how much I use them. They have a purpose. There isnt one thing I buy that I dont get something back no matter what it is. So it may look like alot. But thats the cards I needed to have the CCC's pay me to use their cards. I wont pay interest unless its an emergency. Good Luck on your rebuild.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@

Message 25 of 26
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@

Those are both good reasons.

Don't worry, you'll get there soon enough.

I still have 2 cards I'm not really thrilled with - but I keep them anyways purely for score-improving reasons. I just have a couple autopay bills go on them every month to keep them active, but otherwise I don't use them anymore. There are other cards I'd love to replace them with, but at this point I can't/shouldn't get them yet for the same reasons as you. For the time being, I'm just trying to garden, and enjoying the satisfaction of watching my score incrementally improve every month. There will be plenty of time to get better cards later.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.