cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you bounce back from late payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you bounce back from late payments?

My husband and I incurred several late payments two years ago as he was laid off for a year. How can you come back from that? My husband cannot get any new credit, scores were over 620 before all the lates. I've managed to get new credit but only Comenity. Synchrony, Cap One....they all hate me.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you bounce back from late payments?

I have several lates on my report 120+ days in more than one account I have started GW letters hopefully i will see help with that. but it may just take time i havent had a late in 1 year 9 months and just got approved for a 2900$ card from NFCU its the highest balance cardive ever had. i have had a secured card for just over a year and half though i think that helps but time may just be your friend. im sure others may have better advice.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How late were your payments? I still have a late payment showing on my Equifax account and it keeps my score lower. Time helps. Mine will not fall off until 2020. I just plan to wait it out. Good luck to you.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are similar to yours...how do I get the nfcu card? 

We have several acts that were 30 & 90 days late.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have several that were 30 & 60 days late

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are similar to yours...how do I get the nfcu card? 

We have several acts that were 30 & 90 days late.

My scores are lower and i was able to get NFCU.   you have to be able to qualify for an account, provided you can do that.  they really look at DTI (debt to income).   even someone with not so great credit but low DTI can get a card with them.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My grandfather is a VA that's my only connection. Will they still allow me to join?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the cards that were late all caught up now and current? If not, did any of those go to collections or get closed?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my husbands are caught up. Mine were are closed and placed in collections. However since then I was able to get my 5 new cards.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since they are fairly new collections and won't come off your credit report for a number of years you can try the pay for delete method but that's not too successful from what I've read. But if they do agree, get it in writing. What I did with mine was paying them off. Once the last one reported as paid my scores jumped up a good deal. It still shows as a collection on my report but paid in full. My next step is to write a goodwill letter explaning I got laid off, I paid what I owed and could you please remove these from my file. (Not in that exact wordage) but If that happens my scores will jump up even more.

I'd concentrate on paying off those collections instead of bigger money on your new cards that you got. Put minimum on those cards to keep them active. One a month (cycle them) and pay in full when the due date comes. The golden rule is to have all of your cards at a zero balance except one at 9% or lower.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.