Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you organize it all?

tag
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

How do you organize it all?

Hey everyone, 

I've only been at this credit rebuilding for a few months now and  I'm in charge of cleaning both me and my husbands credit.  And I know some of you are old hands at this. So I'd like to know, how do you organize all this correspondence??

For me: In GWing and PFD requests to OCs & CAs for the baddies, I have a binder with dividers for each creditor, CRA, and other info. I copy everything that I send out and put it in the binder along with every item I receive that is pertinent to my efforts,

How do you stay on top of it all?? a File, a binder, digitally, not at all?????

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CarlyK82
New Contributor

Re: How do you organize it all?

I tend to be pretty anal when it comes to organizing this stuff, but for me, I have copies of my credit reports saved as PDF files...these are my good copies of my credit reports. Then, I make copies and I write all over them.

The first time I write all over the credit report, it is just me going through, marking any erroneous information in reporting, inquiries, lates, etc. Then afterward, if/when I send anything to them (PFD, GW, etc), I end up writing that information both on that credit report and usually in a notebook. I use the notebook especially if I know this is going to be a battle where keeping track of things is important (such as with Midland).

Any disputes that I do, I also write down in a notebook & then if things come off, I end up taking a red pen and "X-ing" them off of my copied credit report.

So pretty much, that is as far as I have gotten with that. It works for me. but I need to see everything in writing.

Officially in the garden...for like, EVER (or at least a really long time)

Starting Score: TU: 636 EQ: ?? EX: ??
Current Score:TU: 641 EQ: 643 EX: ??
Goal Score: 700s Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

My way was simple.  It's termed OCD.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 13
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

My way was simple.  It's termed OCD.  Smiley Happy

Same here lol

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 5 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I have an ever growing Excel document.  Three tabs deep so far.

First Tab

• Each adverse account listed with OC and CA if applicated
  • Names, phone numbers, email addresses that I accrue
  • Account numbers, dates that may apply
  • Each action I take for goodwill, PFD, BBB, etc is noted and dated

Second Tab

• Every derogatory item listed on my credit report, no matter how old, or minor/major
  • Lists the date it was listed, and the dates of the time it will age 6 months, 1,2,3 and 7 years, and the date it will be removed.  I highlight them green when the date is reached, and hide any row I get removed.
  • Total number of derogs overall, <6 months, <1 yr, <2 yr
  • Total major derogs overall, <6 months, <1 yr, <2 yr
  • Total major derogs by bureau

Third Tab

• Average age of Accounts
  • List of every account that factors into AAoA and the date they started
  • Spreadsheet automatically calculates AAoA based on the starting date
  • Allows for calculating additional time, and new accounts to hypotheticals

So yeah...I keep a lot of it organized.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

While reading llecs thread he linked to, I saw another there that just made me laugh.

"Every friday I trash everything on my desk, if it comes back, it's important."

Now that was funny!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 13
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

I read that and laughed too! Ha! could you imagine ???

i hope that that person has a perfect score if he/she isn't so concerned with tracking baddies!

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You apparently have a well-organized file of account information.

The next step, in my opinion, is to organize in a way that permits you to prioritize what to address.

For adverse items in your CR, the most significant items affecting both scoring and potential further damage are

1. each derogatory item, by type and date, not by account. For example, 60-late, 3/2009, collection,DOFD 5.2009

2. the current status of the debt (paid, unpaid)

3. the credit report exclusion date of each item.

I would put together a one-page table, listing in col. 1 each derogatory item.  Col. 2, its date of occurence.  Col 3, if a collection or charge-off, the DOFD on the OC account.

Col 4, its expected CR exclusion date.  Col 5, the relevant date of expiration of SOL.

With such a table, you have a simple summary of status of all derogs, and an idea of the appropriate next step for each.

If unsure of the next step, that data will enable you to post on this site, and get advice.

Message 9 of 13
snsforever916
Regular Contributor

I kept mine and my hubbies stuff all separate.

First and Foremost, I put together goals for any current baddies, current positive accounts (CLI, Goodwill Lates) and possible applications for credit in the future. I list out the account and each step I will take with that account.

Example:

Midland Credit Management

DOLA 1/1/13

DOFD 8/2006

AMT $1000

-DV

-PFD 100%, 50%, 25%

-BBB, FTC, AG

-Settle 25%, 50% then goodwill until off

I cross off and date when I've sent any correspondence and indicate when I have talked/corresponded with any employees.

I have many folders on my computer desktop and one in the file in our filing cabinet for each area. For all correspondence that is done through mail, I make copies and PDF copies and save them in folders on my computer. I also keep mine and my hubbies stuff separate. So, I have one goal list for me and one for him. I have all his stuff in one folder clearly labeled his. This makes it much easier when dealing with the same company and different debts.

*I have one folder for each credit bureau, including odd ones like Chexsystems and all the correspondence with them.

*I had one for each baddie on both of our accounts.

*I have one for all the current, active accountsm positive accounts and any CLI's or product changes.

*I have one for the Better business bureau, Federal Trade Commission, Attorney General correspondence.

*I have one for all the debt letter templates and general responses I send debt collection agencies or current accounts. 

*I have one for all general advice I'd like to remember.

I also have a bag with current folders I am working on that travels between home and work that clearly lists goals and time frames. Sadly, I am a little obsessed with this right now but I am in the major part of our re-building. It doesn't take a lot of time but saves me so much when I need to find correspondence fast. Keep copies of everything and save it all for at least 3 years after it's off your credit report or for a total of 10 years.

As far as an excel program for my current accounts, I really do not need it. I keep a check book type page listing all my accounts and any amount I may owe. I do not have many accounts, however, as they grow I may need that. I do use My FICO score watch,Walmart FICO, Credit Karma, Credit.com, Quizzle, Credit Sesame and Myprivacy matters for all up to date info on my accounts. I know most are fakos and not completely accurate, they do give me a general ideal of how I'm doing.

My hubbies was 515 he's now 704. Mine was 590 now it's 644.  Mine is taking longer as they are less lenient on goodwills on my 2 chargeoffs and 3 collection accounts. UGH! My hubby has had much better luck he had 9 collections and 1 chargeoff, now he only has the chargeoff that will be off Jan 2014. By then, I will hopefully worked on mine and they will be deleted and we will have 20% down, 3 months of bill reserve and our 1 year emergency fund.

Organization is key and making it a priority. I would also include your hubby on the work of cleaning his credit. It's a lesson for future...not making the same mistake again!!

Starting Scores:
Lender Pull 7/10/2012 EQ 585 EX 617 TU 551
8/2012 MyFico EX 598 01/2013 EX 608 2/2013 EX 620 Smiley Surprised)
9/12/2012 624 (Fico Discover)
02/7/2013 660 (Fico Wally)
At least I'm heading in the right direction!!!

Goal Score:740+, home loan and Get rid of subprime cards!!!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.