Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long CA will harass me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long CA will harass me

Experts - I have a Citi CC - last payment was made in June 2011. I had pulled my credit report in 2013 and it appear on my credit report, that last payment was made on July, 2011. So they have reported it correctly, I have that record.

It must have gone thru multiple collection agencies in 2 years and now when i pulled my Credit Report this month, it shows its owned by Preferred Collection since Aug 2015 - account open date, amount due is same and they have added all sorts of comments - late payment, dispute, attorney - fine. But i dont see Citi Account any more on my report.

Question - I am NJ, 6 years SOL is due now. I will be off the hook from any legal troubles. But as soon as i get close to the mark of 7 years - will Credit Bureaus remove this or Collection agencies will continue reporting this since they bought in 2015? What if in 2018 new collection agency buys this account or in 2019 new CA is coming in picture. Can this be ever removed permanently or every time i have to remind Credit Bureaus. Thanks for advice

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long CA will harass me

Any collection, regardless of when they obtain collection authority or when they report, will become excluded by the CRA no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Exclusion of the collection from your credit report, and thus from scoring, is done by the CRA.  It is not based on whethr the debt collector ceases or continues reporting to the CRA.  A debt collector is required to provide the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA no later than 90 days after they report their collection, and the CRA then monitors that date to determine when they excluded.  The maximum date they must exclude is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, but they routinely exclude at approx 7 years from DOFD.

A consumer can, at any time, send a cease communication notice to a CRA, which requires them to immediately cease any communications with the consumer.

If you wish them to stop calling or writing, simply send them notice to do so.  See FDCPA 805(c).

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long CA will harass me

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.