cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did you wait to apply for unsecured card?

tag
ryox03
Regular Contributor

How long did you wait to apply for unsecured card?

Hello all,

Just wanting to get peoples general experiences. I have had my Capital One Secured Card for 6 months. My Fico for EQ sits around 544, my EX FAKO is 596. TU CK is 533. I have perfect payment history but have some collections and charge offs. I applied for a Kays card and was denied for even though, so I think I am going to wait for another year before apping again.

How long did some of you wait?

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: How long did you wait to apply for unsecured card?

Since you have 6 mos. with Cap1, you could try Cap1 unsecured MC, if you don't mind 3 hard pulls. Be sure it's the card for average credit, the Cap1 Visa have higher requirements.

I applied for unsecured Cap1 two months out of BK, and I was approved.

Also, have you tried any store cards, do a search on here for shopping cart. Lots of people get approved for Victorias Secret, Express and others with only a soft pull. There are a lot of posts/threads discussing the shopping cart thing.
Message 2 of 5
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 approved me for an unsecured card after having a merrick bank secured card for three months. My limit is only 300 but I had a previous charge off with them so I was happy for the 300. The CO was paid off when I applied.

Message 3 of 5
percy81
Frequent Contributor

When I started to rebuild after medical bills took its toll on my credit report before I was able to get an actual fico score, I was at mid 500's I got my first credit card with Rewards 660 (they converted to indigo since then) and after a year with that piddly card (300 limit and they automatically take 250 for fees leaving a start up limit of $50.00) anyway, after a year with them I got a crapital one card starting limit 300 then 500 then 750 then 1000 and it stopped there with the increase... used crapital one for a year showing good credit history.

Then I went to the next step and applied for a store card at kohls...started at 300-500-1500!!! After having kohls for 6 months (current limit 500 at the time) I took the bold move and applied for a prime card at that time i earned a nice score of 711-720-experian?? And was approved for 1500 and call the recon number (thanks to knowledge I learned here) and asked for 3,000 since my hard pull was still fresh and i wouldn't get another inquiry, they approved me for the increase.

A month later I applied for Discover more and got a 7-10 day notice and immediately call the backdoor number and got approved for 1,000 small for Discover BUT NONETHELESS I was ESTATIC!!! Two primers in my wallet. A couple cards later and I've been in the garden for almost a year with scores in the 760's as of last week!!!

I treat my good cards well, never go over 15% utilization and pif before statement cuts!! Good luck...be credit wise and you will get rewards, but PATIENTS is key!!!!

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 4 of 5
percy81
Frequent Contributor

@ryox03 wrote:

Hello all,

Just wanting to get peoples general experiences. I have had my Capital One Secured Card for 6 months. My Fico for EQ sits around 544, my EX FAKO is 596. TU CK is 533. I have perfect payment history but have some collections and charge offs. I applied for a Kays card and was denied for even though, so I think I am going to wait for another year before apping again.

How long did some of you wait?

Just noticed the collections you have, you want to try and pay for delete or goodwill thoughs before you even think of applying for the prime cards. I had to do that with an old medical collection popped out of no where from 5 years ago (like they were spying on me and new I was trying to repair my credit and that I would do anything to clean it up) jerks, lol!

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.