cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for credit utilization improvement to be reflected?

tag
Steve127459

How long does it take for credit utilization improvement to be reflected?

Hello all,

New to the forum and was wondering if anybody knew how long it takes for the benefits of such an adjustment to take effect:

Looking to refinance my home, after rehabbing my credit over the last year+.  I still have one smaller credit that has a balance at about 70% of the credit limit ($2600 on $3800 limit).  I have an opportunity to take a  loan from a family member to where I could pay the balance down to under 30% (had read this was a sweet spot to reap credit score benefit).  Does anyone know how the timing of such a move would work?  I'm trying to break the 620 mark (another benchmark I read about) and would like to time this as best as possible with my refi attempts.  Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Re: How long does it take for credit utilization improvement to be reflected?

whatever day of the month the cc reports to CRAs (ie every 8th of the month, etc).

call them and ask for a 'mid cycle update' (so you wouldnt have to wait for the regular reporting date)...if they do it itll reflect the instant it hits the CRAs.

Message 2 of 7
Steve127459

Wow, that fast?  Thanks for the info crossdivide.  For some reason I expected much more of a lag.  Is there a charge for that sort of thing or do they do it as a courtesy?

Message 3 of 7
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

nah, not if its a reputable company.

maybe some of the bottom feeder cards (like whats in MY wallet lol) might charge a little bit, but i wouldnt think so.

Message 4 of 7
sharpie
Regular Contributor

Oh that's good to know, about asking for a mid-cycle update.  I just figured when I need the bump I would get them paid right before reporting and be good.  Keeping track of the timing is a pain.  Although I too, have bottom feeder cards.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 7
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

hmmmm mid cycle update you say?

Ahh..and I just paid all of my cards down so my total util will be under 5%....and I was just pruning my plants in the garden til they all report. 

Hmmmmmm...very very interesting.  (reaches for phone to coordinate plan of attack in the morning....after my coffee of course)

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 7
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

yup.

keep in mind this is just a 'courtesy' on their part. back it up with a 'need a mid-cycle update for mortgage app' or some kind of good reason. prob wouldnt do it just so you didnt have to wait a week to see score improvement. id pretty much count it as a every-so-often kind of thing...if you asked for it every other month theyd prob just roll thier eyes and cut ya off.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.