Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to have a good credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take to have a good credit history

I filed for bankruptcy in December 2016. I applied for the capital one platinum in june 2018. It's now a quicksilver. That card is now 14 months old. In November 2018 I got the ollo card. In january 2019 I got a second capital one platinum it's now a venture one card. The last card I got is the bbva compass clearpoints card in August 2019 for a total of 4 cards. I plan to garden for a year to 2 years for now. How long does it take to get a good credit history on credit cards? I want to get a discover card but I added them to bankruptcy and I don't know when I will be eligible to get them back. It was IIb. My fico 9 was 697 when I got the bbva card. Also does anyone else have the bbva card and does it have extended warranty?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: How long does it take to have a good credit history

Hi @Anonymous  and welcome to the forums 

The answer to your question would depend on what you consider a good credit history 

In a perfect world, good credit history involves no negatives, low utilization and length of credit history. 

If you're wondering when the BK will stop affecting you and future approvals, that is really lender specific. Some will approve you very soon after BK, others require years, and some wont as long as you have BK on file. 

A lot of people have managed to get their scores up to mid 700s before BK fell off, so if you keep your accounts current, avoid opening unnecessary accounts, and you'll get there eventually . 

Discover will be tricky, minimum is two years but for some it can be  whole lot longer. I know of some who still cant get approval five years after BK, while others managed to get in within 2-3 years. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding I guess if I cant get discover by 2022 i will forget about and get something else.
Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for responding I guess if I cant get discover by 2022 i will forget about and get something else.

Check their prequal page every so often. You never know when it may show up. If they offer you secured card, I'd take it.

It's a good card and will graduate in time. 

Good luck with your rebuild.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.