cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for a Credit Card account to show on credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long for a Credit Card account to show on credit report?

December 14th (Last Month) I was added to my step-dad's credit card as an Authorized user.  It's been a month, and nothing shows on my report. Will anything ever show or no?  One more question , sorry if it's a dumb one.  

I don't get the Fico score. I know my 3 Fico Scores (I get them daily from here) but I just don't understand . Which score matters? There's a FICO score for each Credit Bureau. So which one matters? 

Sorry for the dumb questions

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long for a Credit Card account to show on credit report?

@Anonymous wrote:

December 14th (Last Month) I was added to my step-dad's credit card as an Authorized user.  It's been a month, and nothing shows on my report. Will anything ever show or no?  One more question , sorry if it's a dumb one.  

I don't get the Fico score. I know my 3 Fico Scores (I get them daily from here) but I just don't understand . Which score matters? There's a FICO score for each Credit Bureau. So which one matters? 

Sorry for the dumb questions

Thank you!

Sometimes they never show on the AUs reports especially if you live in a different state, this can also happen if you live across town. Only Fico scores matter and every one of them matters. They are based off the info in your report at the time one is requested, reason for the variance very rare to have triplicate exact reports.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.  I still don't get it regarding the FICO scores.  When someone says "This is my FICO score"  what exactly are they talking about? I know the individual FICO score from the 3 Bureaus , but I still don't understand  when it's asked what your FICO score is, why is there only one score? 

Message 3 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  I still don't get it regarding the FICO scores.  When someone says "This is my FICO score"  what exactly are they talking about? I know the individual FICO score from the 3 Bureaus , but I still don't understand  when it's asked what your FICO score is, why is there only one score? 

Fico is the score chosen by lenders in making credit extension decisions 99.9% of the time. A few creditors will use the Vantage Score, all other credit scores out there are called FAKOS as no lender ever sees them to make a credit decision. When someone asks what your Fico score is they are asking for the score that is generated by the Fico Corporation.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  I still don't get it regarding the FICO scores.  When someone says "This is my FICO score"  what exactly are they talking about? I know the individual FICO score from the 3 Bureaus , but I still don't understand  when it's asked what your FICO score is, why isn't there only one score? I'm sure thats what you meant to say, no?

Yeah.... you and me and about 100 million other people. Fair Isaac corporation developed the FICO scores, and they have quite a few different versions, for different purposes. Some are oriented toward mortgage lenders, some towards credit card issuers, some towards auto lenders and some towards insurance issuers - just to name a few. And then there are the many "imitators" or FAKOs. These are algorithms that try to 'estimate' FICO based on how the programmers believe FICO works. Becuase FICOs are a closely guarded secret, these FAKO scores often deviate by substantial amounts.

You have to realize that the scores are not 'for' you, they are for lenders to evaluate risk. I have my own opinion as to how effective they do that, but thats a different discussion.

I have no doubt if the lenders and Fair Isaac had their way you would NOT be able to even SEE your own FICO scores.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must be slow lol. I get my FICO scores directly from here. I just for some reason can't grasp this, I'm sorry. There are 3 FICO scores, but when a lender looks at your 3 FICO scores, which one are they basing everything off of? Do they add the 3 together, and divide by 3 to get one FICO score? I

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage and auto lenders usually base their decisions off the middle score. Other lenders will often just pull from one Credit Bureau. 

Message 7 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I must be slow lol. I get my FICO scores directly from here. I just for some reason can't grasp this, I'm sorry. There are 3 FICO scores, but when a lender looks at your 3 FICO scores, which one are they basing everything off of? Do they add the 3 together, and divide by 3 to get one FICO score? I

some lenders pull TransUnion , some pull Experian , some pull Equifax .... some pull 2 of the 3 and some pull all 3.

you really don't just have a "FICO Score", you have "FICO Scores"... TU EX and EQ  (there are more but we wont go into those)

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, that's what I was trying to grasp.  Sorry for these dumb questions

Message 9 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, that's what I was trying to grasp.  Sorry for these dumb questions

no problem at all.

what card were you added to?

i know Chase, CapOne and AMEX show on my AU's reports.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.