Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to Rebuild my credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long to Rebuild my credit!

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit. When I was young and dumb I got credit cards and I just let them go. I have 4 baddies on my credit report they are all over 4 years old. I also have 20 inquires on my account, applied to refinance my auto loan and got pulled for a lot of banks. I have 6 credit cards right now and my auto loan. My TU is a 619 and my Experian Fico 8 is a 631. What else can I do to raise my score I would love better cards. I have 2 capital one cards which are my decent cards but I want bigger credit lines and lower interest rates. Any advise would be great.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How long to Rebuild my credit!

Welcome to the forums. More credit doesnt mean higher scores. You have more than enough to reach higher scores. List out your 6 cards with Name of Bank/Credit Line/Balance Owed. Lets see where your at util-wise first. You also have a loan so that covers the credit mix. And we'll go from there to start with. Then decisions can be made on what needs to be done to grow further.

Message 2 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

What are your derogatories? Have you thought about addressing them?
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My accounts are

Capital one- $500 bal- $480
Capital one- $300 bal-$290
First premier- $500- bal-$495
Indigo-$300- bal- $250
Indigo- $300- bal- $290
Credit one- $300- bal -$275
Fingerhut- $500 bal- $50
Gettington- $400 bal- $0
My collections are

Capital one $800
Capital one $ 400
Sprint- $589 sister used it without me knowing.
Gettington $1000
Message 4 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My accounts are:
Capital one- $500 bal- $480
Capital one- $300 bal-$290
First premier- $500- bal-$495
Indigo-$300- bal- $250
Indigo- $300- bal- $290
Credit one- $300- bal -$275
Fingerhut- $500 bal- $50
Gettington- $400 bal- $0
My collections are

Capital one $800
Capital one $ 400
Sprint- $589 sister used it without me knowing.
Gettington $1000

There lies the problem. 6 of 8 cards are considered maxed out. Major hit to your scores over 89%. Its time to stop charging and start paying all those down. Your scores would rebound nicely. But. Those collections will have to be paid so they quit updating each month. Once the collections are paid you may lose some points short term as they update. But it will show future creditors you paid your debts. So you see. More credit wont improve your scores. Plus no one would approve you as it sits now probably. You really cant handle your present cards as it sits at this moment. So the higher and better credit lines will have to wait until you get control of your debts. I'm not jumping on your case. I had a feeling this was the problem. After all that is paid down and you have control again. Then and only then more doors will open for you for what your looking for. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn’t think you were jumping my case I’m happy to have the advice. Would you recommend cutting them up? My wife and I seem to pay them down then use them for stuff we don’t need.
Message 6 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I agree with FireMedic1

Don't apply for any new credit cards until you get your utilization in order. Take your balance divided by the credit line to see your utilization % for aggregate and individual card. Lenders will not offer you credit or favorable terms when you are maxed out.

I'll address the utilization. If you have the funds available, pay off your open credit card debt.

Remember these thresholds: 8.9%, 28.9%, 48.9% 68.9%, 88.9% Get your aggregate utility below 8.9% Optimal would be individual account 8.9% or under too. Look into the All Zero Except One technique. You should gain 10-15 points crossing a scoring threshold. You're probably looking at 40-60 available points if you can do AZEO.

After all your cards has updated with the new reported statements, get your 3 Bureau Fico report at creditchecktotal.com (part of Experian) for $1. Cancel your subscription 7 days or earlier to avoid the monthly fee. Hopefully, you will see a nice FICO score.

Message 7 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Didn’t think you were jumping my case I’m happy to have the advice. Would you recommend cutting them up? My wife and I seem to pay them down then use them for stuff we don’t need.

Use your cards as much as you want. That's what they are there for; use, pay, repeat. However, you do not want maxed out utilization to report on your credit card statement. Pay everything to zero except let one card (Capital One perhaps) show a $10 statement.

Message 8 of 28
Camps
Valued Member

Good luck CooleyBrandon...sounds like we are both in the similar situations with similar scores (and similar stern responses from FireMedic Smiley Very Happy ....I'll meet you in the 640-650s by end of year.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always count on @FireMedic1 to tell you what’s up. You can also always count on him to do it directly but politely, without judgment, and knowing what he’s talking about.

OP, no need to cut up the cards. I saw a person on here say they put their cards in a ziploc bag of water and stuck it in the freezer to avoid impulse purchases. Perhaps you and your wife each carry one card and freeze (literally) the others - pay off those others completely, and practice AZEO using the other. You are in a very good position to address the debts, and once done, you’ll have more money freed up to deal with the collections.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.