How long to Rebuild my credit!

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How long to Rebuild my credit!

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Didn’t think you were jumping my case I’m happy to have the advice. Would you recommend cutting them up? My wife and I seem to pay them down then use them for stuff we don’t need.

Use your cards as much as you want. That's what they are there for; use, pay, repeat. However, you do not want maxed out utilization to report on your credit card statement. Pay everything to zero except let one card (Capital One perhaps) show a $10 statement.

Respectfully disagree. Absolutely not at this time. No use at all. Pay the debts first. Poster has a charging problem. Doesnt need to rinse and repeat anything but paying down the debt for now.

Message 11 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Didn’t think you were jumping my case I’m happy to have the advice. Would you recommend cutting them up? My wife and I seem to pay them down then use them for stuff we don’t need.

And thats what gets people into trouble. Give the cards to a family member not in your house. Pay down the debts. Then you have a debit card I'm sure from your bank. Once paid down and back in control. Take 1 card and use it as a debit card. Leave the $ in the bank. Then pay it off before statement date. This will get you in the habit of proper use of a credit card. Because if you use your debit card for more than whats in the bank. It will be declined and possibly a $38 NSF fee. That would suck. There's really no difference from a debit card and a credit card. You cant use your credit cards becuse there's no room to charge anything right now. Same applies for a debit card. Cant use it if there  isnt any money in the bank. See what I mean? So for now get those bills paid down. Get 1 card and use it as a debit. Then you'll get to see the game that has to be played. Its really simple. If you dont have it. You dont charge it. Cool? Good Luck!

Message 12 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Respectfully disagree. Absolutely not at this time. No use at all. Pay the debts first. Poster has a charging problem. Doesnt need to rinse and repeat anything but paying down the debt for now.

No harm in disagreeing. I see your viewpoint. The total debt could be considered small or large depending on the user. Hopefully, the debt is at a manageable level for OP where OP can address it before collections/charge-offs.

Message 13 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

No harm in disagreeing. I see your viewpoint. The total debt could be considered small or large depending on the user. Hopefully, the debt is at a manageable level for OP where OP can address it before collections/charge-offs.

Its all good. Just trying to get the poster in the habit of proper use of a credit card as a debit card. We are creatures of habit. Once he/she gets in the habit of proper use. It will all come naturally in time. No problem fellow poster! Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree! I need to pay them off and not use them. None of my payments are late or have ever been late on any of my current credit cards. We have a vacation coming up and after that we are planing on knocking down the debt ASAP. We booked a trip to punta Cana as a honeymoon with my wife and daughter unfortunately with all the violence we had to cancel and lost a lot of money. So now we’re putting hundreds back a month to pay off the new trip in time. Once that is over we plan on putting that money on the credit cards to pay them off ASAP.
Message 15 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Excellent. Have a great time. Stop back. Let us know how its going as you get back on your feet to financial freedom. Once your ready after its all paid down. We are more than happy to lead you in the right direction on using your cards for the max benefit for your credit profile!!!!!! And cash back too!

Message 16 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Its all good. Just trying to get the poster in the habit of proper use of a credit card as a debit card. We are creatures of habit. Once he/she gets in the habit of proper use. It will all come naturally in time. No problem fellow poster! Smiley Very Happy

Having a fellow poster as yourself provide experienced, knowledgeable advise is appreciated. Smiley Happy It benefits the community.

I treat by credit card as a debit card. If I can't pay for it, I'll have to wait until I can charge it.

Message 17 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Having a fellow poster as yourself provide experienced, knowledgeable advise is appreciated. Smiley Happy It benefits the community.

I treat by credit card as a debit card. If I can't pay for it, I'll have to wait until I can charge it.

Thanks man. I do the same. Use them for everything I buy for the cash back. There's isnt one thing I purchase I dont get something back. Then follow AZEO for scores. In 4 yrs I havent paid a dime in interest. Why get cash back and lose that profit to interest? Kinda defeats the purpose. Got a new mattress/stand thanks to Discover cash back match for free just for using a card. Pay me to use you card. I wont pay you. Simple. If I want something. I save, then buy, get cash back. Still winning. Its a game man.

Message 18 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree! I need to pay them off and not use them. None of my payments are late or have ever been late on any of my current credit cards. We have a vacation coming up and after that we are planing on knocking down the debt ASAP. We booked a trip to punta Cana as a honeymoon with my wife and daughter unfortunately with all the violence we had to cancel and lost a lot of money. So now we’re putting hundreds back a month to pay off the new trip in time. Once that is over we plan on putting that money on the credit cards to pay them off ASAP.

It's good to know that you aren't late on your current cards. As stated here on myFICO a lot of times, "finances over scores". If you are carrying a balance, look at the interest you are/will be paying. I'm guessing your APR is (+-) 25%. It's something to consider when you are paying your debt down; pay in full or pay minimums?

Come back when you are ready to tackle those collections/charge-offs.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I am paying the minimums on the credit cards.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.