cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will a charged off account hurt your score badly.

tag
kese
New Contributor

How long will a charged off account hurt your score badly.

I have a credit card that was charged off in 2007. I also know that it can be in my file upto 7 yrs.

But everytime  a lender pulls my file, i get the message that i have a collection and deragatory in my file.

How long will this thing hurt me? Is it gonna ever get aged?

Starting Score: 598
Current Score: Trans union fico 713 (myfico 11/1/2012), EQ fico 671, exp 666 by AMEX
Goal Score: 720 across

In my wallet: GE/walmart at $10500, 2 capital ones at $750 each, Elan financial at $400, Amex BCP-$1000, AMEX Gold Delta at $2500, Discover more at $6,000 and Chase freedom at $3000

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How long will a charged off account hurt your score badly.

@kese wrote:

I have a credit card that was charged off in 2007. I also know that it can be in my file upto 7 yrs.

But everytime  a lender pulls my file, i get the message that i have a collection and deragatory in my file.

How long will this thing hurt me? Is it gonna ever get aged?

It will probably hurt your score less as it ages over time......but unfortunately it will still ding your score to a large extent as long as it is on your reports.  

Have you tried sending GW letters to request them to delete the account ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I saw a significant gain when my CO hit 5 years old so I would say at least 5 years. It should be removed completely in a week or so since I did PFD. I'll know how much if any if ant at that point.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 7
kese
New Contributor

No, i didnt. But i talked to representative who was updating the negative account. she informed me tha tthey are not collecting the account but she can help me to settle the account.( It was a kohls/chase card with a balance of $214). I explained to her that will make the account current deragatory and hurt my score really badly. i am thinking of calling her to pay the full balance if she can delete the account.

Current Score: Trans union fico 713 (myfico 11/1/2012), EQ fico 671, exp 666 by AMEX

In my wallet: GE/walmart at $10500, 2 capital ones at $750 each, Elan financial at $400, Amex BCP-$1000, AMEX Gold Delta at $2500, Discover more at $6,000 and Chase freedom at $3000

Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@kese wrote:

No, i didnt. But i talked to representative who was updating the negative account. she informed me tha tthey are not collecting the account but she can help me to settle the account.( It was a kohls/chase card with a balance of $214). I explained to her that will make the account current deragatory and hurt my score really badly. i am thinking of calling her to pay the full balance if she can delete the account.

Chase is actually pretty good about deleting negative accounts after they are paid ~ don't know if they'll agree to a PFD but you can likely get it removed after you pay.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
2NE1
Established Contributor

Welcome to the forums!

I sent you a PM! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
kese
New Contributor

Thanks guys for the info. I will update you on what happens next.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.