Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will charge offs sink me!

tag
Rwil72
Regular Contributor

How long will charge offs sink me!

In the late summer of 2016 I had 6 charge offs on my credit, I came into some money and paid them all off

In the early fall of 2016. Unfortunately that was before I joined this forum and realized I should have negotiated

a pay for deletes. Well since then I have opened 3 new credit cards and practicing the AZEO method and current on

4 more installment loans in which I have paid about 80% of the balances.I haven't had any lates. When I paid the charge offs in 2016 my

FICOS were around 580, I have been hovering around 650 for a while. My question is how long will paid charge offs

drag down my score significantly? I just want to get into the 700 club.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long will charge offs sink me!

@Rwil72 wrote:

In the late summer of 2016 I had 6 charge offs on my credit, I came into some money and paid them all off

In the early fall of 2016. Unfortunately that was before I joined this forum and realized I should have negotiated

a pay for deletes. Well since then I have opened 3 new credit cards and practicing the AZEO method and current on

4 more installment loans in which I have paid about 80% of the balances.I haven't had any lates. When I paid the charge offs in 2016 my

FICOS were around 580, I have been hovering around 650 for a while. My question is how long will paid charge offs

drag down my score significantly? I just want to get into the 700 club.

Charge-offs stay on one's report for 7 years, and they lose impact over time. You have 5 more years to go. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Rwil72
Regular Contributor

I know bad debts stay on your credit file for 7 years, but after how any years will this keep me out

of the 700 club if I do everything else perfect?

Thank you

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may make the 700 Club prior to the COs falling off, but they will slow and stunt your growth. And the 7 years is calculated from date of first delinquency. I paid a CO in 2016 that had a DoFD in 2015, and according to my credit reports it shows to fall off in 2022. Sucks, I know, but it shall pass and you WILL recover.
Message 4 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

In my experience, 3+ years they will diminish "weight" but they will continue to subdue your scores to some extent until 5+ years.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

In my experience, 3+ years they will diminish "weight" but they will continue to subdue your scores to some extent until 5+ years.  

I hope so, i have one that will hit 3 years in Oct.  it would be nice to see a bump even if only a small one. 

Message 6 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

You also have to consider that there are "6" charge-offs so the status of one or two changing is not going to make much difference as far as scores.

A charge-off being reported is one of the most serious derogatories possible, times 6 is a pretty big ding - the fact they were paid is positive especially on a recon, but will continue to trip up the "computer generated" approval process. 

Message 7 of 11
Rwil72
Regular Contributor

So true, I never get approved by the computer programs. The ironic thing is in 2001 I filled

Chapter 7, after 2 years my scores were back in 700's. I know the Bankruptcy stays on your credit

for more years but it feels like the charge offs are weighted worse than a bankruptcy.

Message 8 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

It hurts you for seven years, however, you can get into the 700 club, but won't see anything close high 700's most likely.  It's going to sting a lot.  All you can do now is beg for 'goodwill forgiveness'....and hope it works.  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have about 4 charge offs still showing that are PIF they are about 3 years old ( 2yrs 9mo I think) and I am sitting ok right now TU 715 EQ 715 and EX 694. I am currently doing the GW letter game and its not really getting me anywhere but I am just sending them out and praying. Also, I currently have 5 lines of revolving with a total CL of $5500 and 30% (only that high due to a boat project I HAD to do) I keep them around 15% or less. I have been debating on an installment loan of $1000 to just pay them off and pay it off quickly and add a loan type to my history because I have never had one. But I think I am going to pass. Don't worry bud you will get there.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.