Did you mean: 

How low can I convince a collection that is 7 months in collections

tag
kugel
Valued Contributor

How low can I convince a collection that is 7 months in collections

12:44 PM
It’s like 7 month in collections
Also what is the lowest amount my sis can try for a settlement payment they agreed 50% of the balance can we go even lower than this ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How low can I convince a collection that is 7 months in collections

If they offered 50% thats a good deal since they can still use the courts to sue to get it all. Doubtful they will go lower.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had luck getting more than 50% for anything that new. I'd take it and run with it, or see if they'll do a payment plan.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, I would consider a counter-offer that seeks their agreement not to report settled for less rather than seeking a lower % in your settlement offer.

Whatever % they agree to, if it involves acceptance of less than 100% of the debt, they have the option of additionally reporting the special comment of settled for less to the CRA.  That informs others that the debt was discharged for less than its full amount, which means the owner took a loss in having dealt with you.

That is never a favorable comment in any subsequent manual review of your credit report, as lendors dont like to extend credit if it will not be repaid in full.

I would counter with their offered settlement %, but add the provision that they agree not to report any referecne to settled for less to the CRA, which will then make your credit report appear the same as if you had paid the debt in full.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

In my opinion, I would consider a counter-offer that seeks their agreement not to report settled for less rather than seeking a lower % in your settlement offer.

Whatever % they agree to, if it involves acceptance of less than 100% of the debt, they have the option of additionally reporting the special comment of settled for less to the CRA.  That informs others that the debt was discharged for less than its full amount, which means the owner took a loss in having dealt with you.

That is never a favorable comment in any subsequent manual review of your credit report, as lendors dont like to extend credit if it will not be repaid in full.

I would counter with their offered settlement %, but add the provision that they agree not to report any referecne to settled for less to the CRA, which will then make your credit report appear the same as if you had paid the debt in full.

Great advice RobertEG.

Message 5 of 6
kugel
Valued Contributor

So my sis doesn’t care that the cards will stay Negative
She just doesn’t want to get her bank acoount be garnished she wants to have it on her name

She just did a settlement with Bofa collection they agreed for $3000 for $6700
But she does have a few more cards like capital one and Barclays and Citi with similar balances she just feels it might be a waste to pay them the settlement cash just because it might end up a judgment and than loose the bank acoount if it gets garnished ,
And we don’t know now what crediter will do a judgment in the long term ,
Should she wait and see if it ends up in judgments and than she can always call and offer to do a settlement or it’s a risk and just do it now ?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.