cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many accounts enough to build credit?

tag
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Re: How many accounts enough to build credit?

@RSX wrote:

i think it is good news that it is a Porfolio Recovery Associates owned account - they Pay For Delete

call them and see if they will accept 40-50% of that outstanding balance (make sure you dont call until you have the money to pay on the spot)

this is potentially very good news for you

I have no interest in paying it off 6 years later. I'll rather wait one more year if it does go back up which by then they'd have no choice but to remove it permanently.

I just did some research and it seems the most common reason for a account to randomly come off like this is when the CA sells the debt to another CA. Which means the new CA will list it on their behalf real soon. 

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Message 51 of 255
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MarkyB wrote:

@RSX wrote:

i think it is good news that it is a Porfolio Recovery Associates owned account - they Pay For Delete

call them and see if they will accept 40-50% of that outstanding balance (make sure you dont call until you have the money to pay on the spot)

this is potentially very good news for you

I have no interest in paying it off 6 years later. I'll rather wait one more year if it does go back up which by then they'd have no choice but to remove it permanently.

I just did some research and it seems the most common reason for a account to randomly come off like this is when the CA sells the debt to another CA. Which means the new CA will list it on their behalf real soon. 

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Yea I was just about to post this. This sounds like the most likely scenario. There's no way the bureaus would give 1 year EE; they're not THAT generous. Lol.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 52 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Yea I was just about to post this. This sounds like the most likely scenario. There's no way the bureaus would give 1 year EE; they're not THAT generous. Lol.

I hear you. I'm a fool for thinking they'd be that kind lol. I just found it interesting that it dropped off exactly one year before it's due for deletion. I have no idea why any company would buy a debt that's 6 years old. The likelihood of them recouping that money is extremely slim at that point. I'm hoping Portfolio is simply cleaning out their old files with accounts due for deletion soon. Time will tell tho and I'll keep you guys posted on any changes. 

Message 53 of 255
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MarkyB wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I hear you. I'm a fool for thinking they'd be that kind lol. I just found it interesting that it dropped off exactly one year before it's due for deletion. I have no idea why any company would buy a debt that's 6 years old. The likelihood of them recouping that money is extremely slim at that point. I'm hoping Portfolio is simply cleaning out their old files with accounts due for deletion soon. Time will tell tho and I'll keep you guys posted on any changes. 

Well, not everyone is as credit savvy as those of us here on MyFICO, so some people WOULD indeed pay up.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 54 of 255
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@MarkyB wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Well, not everyone is as credit savvy as those of us here on MyFICO, so some people WOULD indeed pay up.

I agree, imho I think it would be best to PFD and we know portfolio does this even with a settlement offer. It would suck for it to get sold and open up fresh, that would tank scores for sure and then to have to go thru the dispute process when it's time to delete if it doesn't drop. Also another factor for me is karma. To each their own and as I said this is just what I would do, no judgement!

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

/
Message 55 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@RobynJ wrote: 

I agree, imho I think it would be best to PFD and we know portfolio does this even with a settlement offer. It would suck for it to get sold and open up fresh, that would tank scores for sure and then to have to go thru the dispute process when it's time to delete if it doesn't drop. Also another factor for me is karma. To each their own and as I said this is just what I would do, no judgement!

There's no karma coming my way cuz I wasn't the one that burned them. Heck, I got burned alongside them. I took the L for the past 6 years, it would be foolish to wave the white flag now at the end of the tunnel. I'm not concerned with it tanking my score (I don't even have one lol) cuz once it drops off next year it'll bounce right back. You're not wrong in your thinking tho. That's how everyone should react. Take responsibility for your screw up and make it right. Unfortunately not everyone thinks that way. All you can do is live and learn.

I appreciate the feedback.

Message 56 of 255
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@MarkyB Have you checked the Statute of Limitations on collecting on that debt?   Aside from it dropping off the credit report I would make sure they can't take you to court and get a judgement.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 57 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@lns1976 wrote:

@MarkyB Have you checked the Statute of Limitations on collecting on that debt?   Aside from it dropping off the credit report I would make sure they can't take you to court and get a judgement.

It's 6 years here in NY

Message 58 of 255
RSX
Valued Contributor

^^ this

i would personally pay $6-700 to get something like that deleted off my record - a year is a long time to have your scores held back

but up to you, for sure

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 59 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Hey guys. So I went on the capital one app and tried setting up my online account without receiving my card yet. They asked for my last name, dob and ssn. My new secured card account popped up so I clicked it and then the next page showed my old username account that I had set up for my cousin at the time with the 360 checking. It's basically forcing me to link my new card to that online account. Is there another way to create a whole new account? I'm surprised they still have that username saved. I don't even know the password since my cousin had sole access to it. I will try making a new account if possible, but the method I tried forces me to use the old online account username. 

Message 60 of 255
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.