cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many accounts enough to build credit?

tag
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Re: How many accounts enough to build credit?

@RobynJ wrote:

@MarkyB 

I have rentreporters on my credit which when I joined they verified and put 24 months of positive previous payments but better yet they started the line from when I moved in 3years 10 months prior. This made my aaoa go up plus my oldest line. This gave me a Fico 9 in two months I still don't have a Fico 8. It takes a minimum of 6 months of a trade line reporting to score on fico 8

Ah I see. So there's no way of generating a fico 8 sooner. Everyone must wait a minimum of 6 months no matter what. Thanks.

Message 81 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Quick update. I received my capital one card today. I activated it and already charged $14 in gas on it (7% utilization). I called CS and they told me the statement cycle date this month is on Tuesday the 19th so I should get this card listed on my reports next week. 

I also received what I thought was the TD bank denial letter but in fact it was an approval letter. It states I have to go in a branch in person and open a savings account. I guess they couldn't approve me online because they want me to go in person for ID verification? I found it very strange they conditionally approved me but then denied me when I proceeded to the next step which was opening the savings account. Anyways, I'm happy and will be going first thing next week to open the account. Here's the letter I received...

20220416_143217.jpg

Message 82 of 255
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@MarkyB I wouldn't sweat the ID verification.  With some of the stuff in the past it could have just caught a flag for them, but having to come into a branch and not be able to send a picture is different.  Is there a branch near you?  

Sounds like it's definitely time to garden for 6 months and see how your scores do.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 83 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@lns1976 wrote:

@MarkyB I wouldn't sweat the ID verification.  With some of the stuff in the past it could have just caught a flag for them, but having to come into a branch and not be able to send a picture is different.  Is there a branch near you?  

Sounds like it's definitely time to garden for 6 months and see how your scores do.

If anything flagged they wouldnt have conditionally approved me for it in the first place. That's why I was confused. I also found out Self uses chex system to approve or deny people on the credit builder account so my chex must definitely be clean. The TD denial was a little separate pop up window. I honestly didn't fully read the message I closed the pop up right away accidentally. I may have timed out the online session because it took me a few minutes to proceed to the next step. Who knows?

Yes there are many branches nearby. NYC is filled with TD banks. I'm glad I'll be getting it after all because that hard pull really bothered me. Now I'm set with 3 cards and a credit builder loan. I have no desire to open anything else beyond this point until the end of the year. I decided not to go with a credit union after doing in depth research on them. It's just not my cup of tea.

Thank you for your feedback! 

Message 84 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

Ok so I spoke with a TD representative on the phone just now. She told me the savings account MUST be opened in person. She says many people have called for the same reason saying they were conditionally approved but then denied when trying to open the savings account online. She told me no worries I'm still approved but I must go in person to the branch. She said the website doesn't state that and instead makes it seem like you can open the account online but you cannot. That's definitely a relief!

Message 85 of 255
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@MarkyB That is just odd.  I think I'll wait with them until they approve me unsecured.  I don't even know where a TD bank branch is. lol

Message 86 of 255
MarkyB
Regular Contributor

@lns1976 wrote:

@MarkyB That is just odd.  I think I'll wait with them until they approve me unsecured.  I don't even know where a TD bank branch is. lol

What state are you in? TD bank serves the eastern hemisphere from what I know. If you're on the east coast you should be good.

I find the in person requirement a bit odd too but I guess that's their way of doing ID verification? It wasn't too long ago you couldn't even apply online everything had to be done in person (imagine getting declined in person lol). She told me to bring documents to prove my identity and proof of address. She said if I have a drivers license then that's all I need along with the funds for the deposit. I don't mind going there in person since I have 2 of them walking distance from my home so that's a non issue.

Message 87 of 255
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@MarkyB I'm in Oregon and moved from Idaho 4 years ago so that's probably why I've never seen one.  Lived in NYC for a year but that was 24 years ago... lol  Otherwise I'm a Pac NorWest Native. Smiley Wink

Yeah, I just opened up NFCU accounts and uploaded my ID on my phone.  No CC, but Checking, Savings, and Money Market Savings all in one phone call.

Message 88 of 255
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@MarkyB  Did TD Bank pull a report for your secured card? I don't think they do but want to make sure.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 89 of 255
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

@MarkyB  Did TD Bank pull a report for your secured card? I don't think they do but want to make sure.

TDBank hit me with a Hard Pull from Experian when I applied for my secured card back in June of 2020; that said, when they graduated the card to unsecured in January of 2021 and when they gave me a CLI from $5,000 to $8,500 in February of 2022, there were no pulls of any kind.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 90 of 255
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.