cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do settled charge off affect score?

tag
charlie619
Valued Member

How much do settled charge off affect score?

Hello Guys!

I've been in the process of rebuilding for some a couple of months now. I was recently thinking about applying for an auto loan but decided to hold off because of some of the derogs on my account.

I have a few questions for the credit experts in here so any help is appreciated.

Long story short:

I have about a 7 year credit card/auto loan history. From 2012 to July 2016 eveything was on time and never missed a payment. Well during this same time I lost my job and eveything just spiraled out of control. I eventually just stopped making payments because I was so overwhelmed and wasn't making enough without employment.

Fast forward to now with a decent paying job I decided it was time to get my finances in order. Well I settled all of my charged off debts so that they now show "paid,closed - $0 balance".

1st Question - Should I have tried a PFD on these accounts even though they never went to collections? Is it possible to still have them removed even after settling or is this something I should have negociated at the time of settlement?

2nd Question - If I can still ask my creditors to remove these, is it even worth the hassle? I know being completely off my CR would be ideal but would it bring my score up much more than what they are showing now (settled for less) Is the zero balance more important than having them off?

3rd question - Is each month that the bill went past due count for a single charge off, or does the card itself count for a single charge off regardless of how many months it went past due. 

Thanks in adavance and sorry if these are dumb questions. I feel like im reading so much info on credit that sometimes it stops making sense!

3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How much do settled charge off affect score?

1) It would've been good at the time of settling/negotiating yes, but what's done is done. Your only other option right now is to try the GW Saturation Technique (do a search for it here on the forums).
2) Yes, them coming off completely would be even better than paid CO. A CO is still a major derogatory even if paid. 3rs worst thing behind Collection and BK.
3) One single charge off for the account. The creditor has the option to keep reporting as a CO every month, but it's still only counts as one single charge off for the whole account.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
charlie619
Valued Member

Thank you for the insight, I will look into the GW Saturation Technique.

Chances of this working pretty high?

Would this also be the best way to try to remove a 30 Day Late with FoMoCo?

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

1) Varies by lender, to be honest the chances are actually pretty low, but it doesn't mean you should give up or not even try.
2) Yes

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.