Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much progress in twelve months!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much progress in twelve months!

It's been a year since I discovered these forums, so I thought I'd write out my encouraging tale for others just starting this journey.

I'm still in the middle of rebuilding, but things are SO MUCH better than they were 12 months ago, when I had FICO 8 scores in the mid-500s. Now they are 656 (TU) and 668 (EX and EQ). A year ago, I had a drastic financial disaster but it was limited to one card that I couldn't pay. (With a HUGE balance.) I was able to settle for a lesser amount (no charge off, no collection). But I was also left with a 90-day-late. And, I ought to mention, my income is low (it was about 17K a year ago, now is 25K). I had a lot going against me!

I started off by getting on a low-interest payment plan for some closed credit cards (which are still in good standing). This left me saddled with high util which I can't pay off yet because of low income. In the months after I started my rebuild, I was able to get a secured card (Green Dot) and then Walmart and Overstock store cards. In Feb I was miraculously approved for a Discover It card. I wanted to apply for everything in sight, but thanks to the folks here I learned my lesson sooner rather than later and just checked prequal sites a lot (and was refused a lot). Things started getting better in the middle of the year when I got in with Navy Fed (yay Navy). Now I just wait and garden and plan...

Some takeaways from my first year:

• It's so hard to be patient. I'm the worst at it. Hang around these forums, soak up the info, make plans, write notes, keep yourself occupied (and educated!) as you wait for things to improve. They WILL improve.
  • Stop applying for cards or loans when you are getting refusals. Less is more. Quit while you're ahead! You'll deeply regret it later when things are starting to pick up (and they will pick up sooner than you think!) because you'll either have all these crap cards or a lot of wasted inquiries.
  • myFICO is a wonderful place because it encourages healthy attitudes about credit (pay in full! Lower utilization! etc). You can unlearn bad habits and avoid disasters in the future. For the longest time, I only felt guilt, shame, and dread when I thought about my credit. Now I'm a credit geek and am enjoying this without the guilt! It's totally fun. Soak up the healthy attitudes and habits here and they will follow you for the rest of your life.
  • Even with black marks on your credit, you can still get ahead. Look at all the people here with BKs, charge-offs, late payments, and high utilization. We still get afforded a second chance. We have to be more careful before applying, but all is not lost. I still have high util (it's slowly going down but still very much there) and was approved for Discover, Navy Fed, some good store cards (Walmart, Shell) and have pre-approvals for Citi and AMEX. It just takes time...
  • Things can change suddenly when you least expect it. A few months after my credit rebuild journey, I could only get a preapproval for Discover's secured card. Then my FICO went up a few points and voila! Preapproved for unsecured Discover IT (at a low 600 score with low income and high util!). After months of no preapprovals, suddenly preapprovals. Be patient. That next big "breakthrough" could be around the corner. 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: How much progress in twelve months!

Congratulations 🎊🎈🍾🎉 on all your progress @tenaya

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

Congrats on all of your progress!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success!
Message 4 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 10
Chestnut1
Regular Contributor

Congratulations and Wise words. Patience, Planning & preparation are the 3 key words. Rushing into applying for anything and everything during Credit rebuiling phase HURTS the most in the long run and only dents the progress. Those words of yours are to live by. I understand, as human beings we tend to get impatient and want to quickly turn around things. but not in this case. We should first learn to play the credit game, get into the game, play the game for a while and only after that should we expect any results. I've been following this myself for over a year and got my scores from low 500s to 675 across board today. I'm one month away from getting my 2nd Negative account fall off (first neg account fell off earlier this month). That leaves me with just one Deliq/Neg account. 

My Util is always < 5%. Payment history is getting updated in an excellent manner for more than 15 Months now. I'm giving myself one more year before i sit down and pat my back for everything that i've been through all these years (3+ Years). I've age on my side (33). i'm sure i will bounce back with in no time. I keep telling myself this EVERYDAY. 

Thanks again and keep up the good work. Lets not stop here. We Must, must move forward. 

11/10/18 EX: 540 TU: 525 EQ: 535
10/20/19 EX: 671 TU: 665 EQ: 671
11/07/19 EX: 676 TU: 673 EQ: 676
12/31/19 EX: 669 TU: 679 EQ: 673
01/06/20 EX: 670 TU: 682 EQ: 682
Paid Charge off to $0 in Dec 2019, reported Jan 2020
01/15/20 EX: 666 TU: 655 EQ: 660
02/07/20 EX: 676 TU: 668 EQ: 668
05/08/20 EX: 685 TU: 685 EQ: 682
05/18/20 EX: 690 TU: 685 EQ: 682
03/16/21 EX: 702 TU: 697 EQ: 700
04/20/21 EX: 705 TU: 700 EQ: 702
04/19/22 EX: 716 TU: 705 EQ: 716

Mortgage Middle Score 682 (Old)
Mortgage Middle Score 706 (New)
Message 6 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Nice job. Congrats. Keep on chuggin.......................

Message 7 of 10
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Very nicely put. Congrats on your milestones and best of luck to you.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, everyone!

I just found out that my Experian FICO 8 score (which I check every day) has gone into "Good" category! (670!!!!) I'm over the moon! I suspect that Equifax is probably already there and TU might lag a little behind but will get there soon. (I'll check those scores in a few days.)

The hardest thing is to be patient. And also, to realize that what I've got now is pretty amazing! I've got three "good" cards from good banks (Navy Fed and Discover). (Plus the three store cards.) They all offer rewards. I will never have to charge something without getting some sort of reward back. But still, I want more, more, more cards and it's difficult to wait. But wait I must! 

Message 9 of 10
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

@tenaya you are right about waiting being the worst part. I am so happy for you (670). That takes work. You made it.

I check mine everyday too. Right now my EX isn’t moving. Hoping when everything reports this month it will move to good. I am happy to have it where it is. My siggy is correct!

Congratulations 🎊🎈🍾🎉

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.