Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Increase FICO Auto Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Increase FICO Auto Credit Score

Hi I am new here I am seriously trying to rebuild my credit after college mess up definitely got ahead of myself and now six years later paying for it like no other. So I recently went to Kia to try to get approved for a new car this would be my third car and I just figured my third car is going to be Some thing I know I'm passionate about and something I really want and if I can't get it it's not meant to be at this moment. I checked all my score came in at about a 635 had about 7000 to put down, $10,000 worth trade still have my car loan but only 3000 in equity. I was trying for a brand new car the Kia telluride if anyone's familiar and I felt a little bit more confident This time in a better chance of approval (yes maybe a higher interest rate) versus when I was at a 580 credit score a year ago. Well when they pulled my credit my score shows a 546 I was extremely shocked and couldn't figure out how I finally was able to track down all of those fico scores auto, mortgage, bank and really see what they are. I'm curious to know if anyone has advice on how to increase that score? I am at 65% utilization I'm getting ready to pay off a credit card that is going to take me down to about 29% Utilization and I have one charge off, but it will not be a pay for delete I can pay it and it will show settled but it will still be on my report. I have no active collections it's just that one charge off and I just fear even paying it yes it's better than nothing but wouldn't even increase my auto score. My fiancé did have some pick ups on his credit as well he's at a 650 but his auto score is a 546 So I just worry if I do pay all these things off is there any of an increase? I do have a history of a lot of a late payments back from college days. My payment history is 86%. I'm still trying the goodwill letters fpr some of my late payments are from 2018 and of course I am getting the letter saying we cannot remove based on a courtesy. My guess it's because those late payments aren't considered completely old yet still fairly new, but just any advice on what I could do to increase that score would be super helpful. I definitely learned my lesson on how hard late payments can affect you because it's still affecting me today.

13 REPLIES 13
nwa479
Regular Contributor

Re: How to Increase FICO Auto Credit Score

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not sure I can give you specifics on what's driving your auto score lower.  I have some ideas but with additional information myself or others on the forum will be able to help.  

The 65 percent utilization is definitely hurting your scores along with the late payment history.  When you reduce your card to 29;percent utilization be sure to reduce it enough to allow for the interest expense and still be below 29;percent.

A few questions

1) What is the source for your initial scores of 635 and 650?  Are these Fico scores?  Equifax, Experian or Trans Union

2) For the auto scores, were these Fico scores?  What version? Fico 8, 9?  

3) For the lates, how long since the last late?  

4) What's the worst late?  30, 60, 90?

5) Any new inquiries in the past year?  How new is the newest?  

6) Any new accounts in past year?  How many months?

7) How many credit cards?  What is the utilization on each?  

Active cards

Goal Cards (Gardening until April 24)

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nwa479 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not sure I can give you specifics on what's driving your auto score lower.  I have some ideas but with additional information myself or others on the forum will be able to help.  

The 65 percent utilization is definitely hurting your scores along with the late payment history.  When you reduce your card to 29;percent utilization be sure to reduce it enough to allow for the interest expense and still be below 29;percent.

A few questions

1) What is the source for your initial scores of 635 and 650?  Are these Fico scores?  Equifax, Experian or Trans Union

2) For the auto scores, were these Fico scores?  What version? Fico 8, 9?  

4) What's the worst late?  30, 60, 90?

5) Any new inquiries in the past year?  How new is the newest?  

6) Any new accounts in past year?  How many months?

7) How many credit cards?  What is the utilization on each?  

A few questions

1) What is the source for your initial scores of 635 and 650? Are these Fico scores? Equifax, Experian or Trans Union

We use Experian to pull all 3 scores We just did like a free trial to see those additional FICO scores because of how thrown off we were when we were at the dealership so that's new news to us.

2) For the auto scores, were these Fico scores? What version? Fico 8, 9?  

Fico auto score 8 and 2

Last late was fall/winter 2018

4) What's the worst late? 30, 60, 90?

I have 7 credit cards 3 with 30 days and 2 with 90-120 sadly

5) Any new inquiries in the past year? How new is the newest?  

Yes when I had tried for that auto loan thinking I had a 635 unfortunately I wasn't clear enough when I had mentioned I didn't want to take a huge hit in an inquiry but they ran me through six banks

6) Any new accounts in past year? How many months?

7) How many credit cards? What is the utilization on each?  

7 cards 

2 - 86%

1 - 35%

Remaining - 0%

Message 3 of 14
nwa479
Regular Contributor

There are some differences in what can help your score on Auto scores vs the regulard Fico 8 or 9, but most of what you can do will help all of them.  

The first step I would do is reduce the cards that are at the 86% utilization. You had mentioned getting overall utilization down to 29%.  That will definitely help, but I would also be sure each card is at or below 29%.  

The six inquiries if they coded them correctly should be grouped as one for auto if done within a certain time period.  I'm not sure what that is, but others on the forum may be able to help on this.

Glad to see you were accessing FICO scores.  Using sites like credit karma are good for watching activity, but the scores are meaningless.  

If you want to track your auto score on FICO monthly, you could pay for a subscription either on Experian or on FICO.  Experian will give you a monthly update but no activity during the month.  FICO will give you changes on FICO 8, but all the other scores like auto when you get a new 3B report.  For $29, you can get a new 3b every 3 months.  For $10 more, you can get it monthly.  I'm getting the monthly 3b because I'm watching my scores closely right now for a future mortgage, but will switch back to once every 3 months after that. 

On the 7 cards, are they charging you annual or monthly fees on any of them?   You may have acquired these cards before your scores dropped so you may be in a good situation with the cards you have and can grow the credit lines.  Depending on what cards you have, this may be a good option to increase your scores. 

There are some resources on this forum on steps to rebuild your credit.  One of the key steps would be to make sure you have sufficient emergency savings in place, like 2 to 3 months of income.  This will help you avoid future lates.  

If the goodwill letters aren't working, the only thing else you can do is continue to keep your profile clean and allow the baddies to age off.  

You were seeking a new car but said you had 3,000 in equity on your current vehicle?  You may want to hold off on the new car until you've achieved other goals, such as emergency savings, and lower utilization on your cards.   You might then work on prequalifying, with a soft pull, for any additional auto loans.  

As for the auto scores, if you were on Fico.com, I know they will list the negative reason codes to explain what's causing the score.  You could look at that to see what the 4 or 5 reason codes are showing to see if there is any additional items to consider to improve that score. 

Active cards

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nwa479 wrote:

There are some differences in what can help your score on Auto scores vs the regulard Fico 8 or 9, but most of what you can do will help all of them.  

The first step I would do is reduce the cards that are at the 86% utilization. You had mentioned getting overall utilization down to 29%.  That will definitely help, but I would also be sure each card is at or below 29%.  

The six inquiries if they coded them correctly should be grouped as one for auto if done within a certain time period.  I'm not sure what that is, but others on the forum may be able to help on this.

Glad to see you were accessing FICO scores.  Using sites like credit karma are good for watching activity, but the scores are meaningless.  

If you want to track your auto score on FICO monthly, you could pay for a subscription either on Experian or on FICO.  Experian will give you a monthly update but no activity during the month.  FICO will give you changes on FICO 8, but all the other scores like auto when you get a new 3B report.  For $29, you can get a new 3b every 3 months.  For $10 more, you can get it monthly.  I'm getting the monthly 3b because I'm watching my scores closely right now for a future mortgage, but will switch back to once every 3 months after that. 

On the 7 cards, are they charging you annual or monthly fees on any of them?   You may have acquired these cards before your scores dropped so you may be in a good situation with the cards you have and can grow the credit lines.  Depending on what cards you have, this may be a good option to increase your scores. 

There are some resources on this forum on steps to rebuild your credit.  One of the key steps would be to make sure you have sufficient emergency savings in place, like 2 to 3 months of income.  This will help you avoid future lates.  

If the goodwill letters aren't working, the only thing else you can do is continue to keep your profile clean and allow the baddies to age off.  

You were seeking a new car but said you had 3,000 in equity on your current vehicle?  You may want to hold off on the new car until you've achieved other goals, such as emergency savings, and lower utilization on your cards.   You might then work on prequalifying, with a soft pull, for any additional auto loans.  

As for the auto scores, if you were on Fico.com, I know they will list the negative reason codes to explain what's causing the score.  You could look at that to see what the 4 or 5 reason codes are showing to see if there is any additional items to consider to improve that score. 

I definitely agree I more than likely will not try for an auto loan till about late 2021, but more than likely early 2022. Yes! I decided to continue my Experian subscription now looking at those scores. The dealership even told us Credit Karma can be a lie which we were relying on, my goal is to continue with the goodwill, making the payments on time. Get that 86% under 30 and pay my charge off and see what happens. Only one of my cards has an annual fee so it's not awful.

Message 5 of 14
nwa479
Regular Contributor

I wish I would have followed this forum earlier in my credit rebuild.  So much good advice.  Sounds like you're on the right track and just keep digging on this forum and you'll get a wealth of knowledge.  

One thing to be sure of is don't pay all your credit cards to zero.  You may have already seen that advice.  You could lose 20 to 30 points with an All Zero penalty.  But you'd get it back as soon as one card posts with a small balance of maybe $10 to $20 (less than $100 is recommended for optimal scoring. 

You can also find a lot of information on the score card segmentation for Fico 8.  You would be on a dirty scorecard due to the 90 day lates.  The scoring is slightly different depending on which score card you are on.  My guess is you'd be on a D2 card.   Look in the first section for Fico Scoring on this forum and you'll see the posts on Fico8 Scoring. 

Active cards

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 6 of 14
coachbeau
Valued Member

Quick question. What do you mean D2 in the score card segmentation for Fico 8. I have been on here for almost two years and never heard of that. 

Message 7 of 14
nwa479
Regular Contributor

Re: D2 Re: How to Increase FICO Auto Credit Score

@coachbeau This can be found easily in two ways.  

1) Go to the first section of the forum and look for the Fico 8 Master thread which is usualy on the first page.  Scroll down a few pages until you see a Fico 8 Flowchart which shows 12 different scorecards, 8 clean, and 4 dirty.   The dirty cards are divided based on public record or derogatory, then based on recency.  

2) Look at the link on the top of @Anonymous signature to the scoring primer.   Birdman can add more details, but understanding the segmentation and other factors that affect scoring will help.  

Active cards

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 8 of 14
coachbeau
Valued Member

Just found it, thanks.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Linked in my signature, sorry I’m late to the party.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.