Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to approach judgment and collection on credit report

tag
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

How to approach judgment and collection on credit report

Hello, 

I've got a judgement from Midland funding filed against me on Jan 2012 for about $3k and a collection from Jefferson cap systems filed on Aug 2013 for about $600 which I recently received an offer to settle for less than $200. I've tried to call and ask for a Pay for delete but they've refused. Just wondering how you guys feel I should approach these two scenarios. I would like to buy a house at some point but not anytime soon. Meanwhile my scores have been rising with responsible use of my quicksilver MasterCard and chase sapphire preferred credit card. Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to approach judgment and collection on credit report

The judgment is recorded in the public records of the court, and finds its way into your credit report via searches of public record information conducted by vendors hired by the CRAs,  They are not reported by and thus cannot be deleted by the judgment creditor.  Thus, you cannot obtain a PFD agreement for removal of a judgment.

You can attempt, if your state laws/regs provide authorization, to get the judgment vacated by the court based on its satisfaction.

A vacated judgment must be removed from your credit report after vacature.  However, simple satisfaction of the judgment is not basis, per se, for deltion.

Exclusion of a satisfied judgment is set under FCRA 605(a)2) as no later than 7 years from the date of entry by the court of the judgment.

Message 2 of 5
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

so if i pay the amount owed on thr judgement, it will fall off 7 years from the date it was filed?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Seven years from the date the court awarded the judgment, not 7 years from the date the civil complaint seeking the judgment was filed.

Message 4 of 5
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

I haven't seen a letter regarding the matter in a few years so I'm not sure when the court awarded the judgment. All I see in myfico report is when it was filed. Would i need to contact the creditor or the court to find out when the court awarded the judgment? 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.