Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with certain collection agency’s

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to deal with certain collection agency’s

I’ll keep this one short as I have a few other post one in this forum and one in the mortgage section, I would like to buy a house mid next year, I’m currently working on the 5 collections I had on my account. I have a plan for all current other debt as well.

Here’s the breakdown of collections

Portfolio recovery 3370.00 - settled at 1680.00 PFD has not updated yet.
Receivables Managment inc - 200.00 Paid in full PFD hasn’t updated yet
Trans world system Inc - 730 settled at 450.00 will not PFD but will show settled with 0 balance hasn’t updated yet
Midland Management - 1538.00 PFD sent, no response
Midland Management - 1510.00 PFD sent, no response

Midland has been the worst to deal with, I sent the PFD and no response, I called them to talk to them knowing that they have a policy to delete once settled or paid in full so I was trying to settle over the phone and there of no help. 1 of the collections they now have a law firm
Handling it and the other one they claim they don’t offer settlements, so how do I go about getting them to agree to something? I’ve tried offering 40% lump sum with no response. Do I keep sending them PFD or do I keep calling? And help or tactics would be very appreciated as I’m trying to get these paid off and see how much more score could rise..

Also the trans world one, should I try the good will saturation to try and have the trade line removed? We settled and it’s paid? If so can someone attach a link to a good letter? Or inbox me one? I would like to have 0 collections accounts on my report, then I’ll handle the revolving debt and practice the AZEO idea.

I appreciate all the help, there are a lot of great people on this forum!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: How to deal with certain collection agency’s

Since 'deleting after payment so long as the original debt is at least 2 years old' is Midland's publically stated policy -- stop sending PFD letters.  Instead, offer a settlement amount without mention of tradeline deletion in return.   If dealing with them over the phone is problematic, then use their website to look up your account and see if any offers exist for your account: https://www.midlandcredit.com/help-center/credit-reporting/.

Also understand that if the debt is still with the Statute of Limitiations for debt collection in your state, you hold very little leverage, if any, when negotiating a settlement amount -- collection agencies, in general, are much more willing to settle for less when they are no longer able to sue for the amount owed.   The Midland collection that's now with the law firm may require payment in full at this point as they've now incurred attorney fees. 

Yes, begin sending Goodwill letters to Transworld.   Goodwill's are meant to be personal pleas to the creditor/collection agency.  Don't copy someone else's letter- write your own and explain what caused the original debt, what you've done to better your debt management habits, and how you plan to maintain those good habits in the future; explain what having the tradeline removed would mean for you and your credit.     It should be unique and genuine -- your goal is to pull on the heartstings of the person reading the letter and make them want to give you a second chance at good credit. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.