Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of Charge off report from Verizon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get rid of Charge off report from Verizon

I was with Verizon in 2009 and got out of their contract due to their change of terms. I called them several times at that time to make sure I wouldn't be charged for the early termination fee. Three of representatives (at different time on different days) confirmed that the early termination fee  would be waived and I transfered my account out. However, Verizon charged me the early termination fee and didn't want to say anyting about the approval of waiving the early temination fee although I have the representatives ID number and calling time and logs (I wrote down). I disputed through BBB and Verizon just kept ignoring my question of why they agreed to waive the fee but charged me after I transferred out. The BBB could not do further and I later just ignored the bill.

Verizon got several different collection agencies for the bill but every one of the collection agency quit asking for the invalid debt after I explained them the situation. However, the bill was reported to credit bureaus as charge-off. Recently I wanted to do refinancing on my mortgage but got denied due to the charge-off. My credit score is good at around 730.

My question is how I can get the charge off removed from my credit report. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get rid of Charge off report from Verizon

why in the world didnt you fight it when they first charged you? 

I would contact one of the CA and offer a PFD.... 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure whether I still have the CA's information. Can I just send PFD to Verizon?

Message 3 of 8
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Doubtful.... if they sold it to a CA then they should report 0 on your credit report....

CA = Collection Agency btw.

Also, pull your reports from annualcreditreport.com and see who currently own it. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

I pulled my report and find the following info on the three bureaus:

From Experian:

VERIZON WIRELESS
Address:
PO BOX 26055
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55426
(800) 852-1922
Account Number:
Address Identification Number:
Status: Collection account. $255 written off. $250 past due as
of Nov 2011.
Status Details: This account is scheduled record until Feb 2016.
This item was updated from our processing 2010.
Date Opened:
07/2008
Reported Since:
11/2009
Date of Status:
06/2010
Last Reported:
11/2011
Type:
Revolving
Terms:
1 Months
Monthly Payment:
$0
Responsibility:
Individual
Credit Limit/Original Amount:
NA
High Balance:
$255
Recent Balance:
$250 as of 11/2011
Recent Payment:
$0
Your Statement:
Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement
of the Fair Credit Reporting Act).
Account History:
Collection as of Jul 2010 to Nov 2011
Charge Off as of Nov 2009 to Jun 2010

From TransUnion:

VERIZON WIRELESS #4214136950****
PO BOX 26055
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55426
(800) 852-1922
Balance: $250
Date Updated: 11/30/2011
High Balance: $250
Past Due: >$250<
Pay Status: >In Collection<
Account Type: Open Account
Responsibility: Individual Account
Date Opened: 07/03/2008
Date Closed: 10/22/2009
Loan Type: TELECOMMUNICATIONS/CELLULAR
Remarks: ACCT INFO DISPUTED BY CONSUMR
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 04/2016

From EquiFax:

VERIZON WIRELESS/SOUTHEAST
3 Verizon Pl
Alpharetta, GA-300048510
Account Number: 4214136950XXXX Status:
Account Owner: Individual Account. High Credit: $250
Type of Account : Open Credit Limit:
Term Duration: Terms Frequency:
Date Opened: 07/2008 Balance: $250
Date Reported: 11/2011 Amount Past Due: $250
Date of Last Payment: Actual Payment Amount:
Scheduled Payment
Amount:
Date of Last Activity: N/A
Date Major Delinquency
First Reported:
07/2010 Months Reviewed: 26
Creditor Classification: Activity Designator: N/A
Charge Off Amount: Deferred Payment Start
Date:
Balloon Payment Amount: Balloon Payment Date:
Date Closed: Type of Loan: Telecommunication/Cellular
Date of First Delinquency: 05/2009
Comments: Consumer disputes this account information,
Collection account

It seems that it still belongs to Verizon although it states it's a collection account. Is there anything that looks interesting here? Thanks again for your help!

Message 5 of 8
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Thats weird... i would call them and see if you can pay them directly to have it taken care of or if you have to contact a collection agency 

Message 6 of 8
biko46
New Visitor

i was sold by verizon bad telephone and when they would not replace it i advised them in writting that i will be taking my business else where i did the same Verizon charged for breaking the contract and sent for collection mean time i notified the credit reporting agancy no use at all then sent to ten difrent collection agancy they all stop collection finally i had sue them

now they are paying me $4000.00 and if i have to pay their bill for 250 dollor i dont care just keep your right dont bend stay put and sue them

biko

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Obviously, in order to charge-off a debt, there must have been a debt.

You assert no debt.  They assert otherwise.

Thus, the issue reduces to getting a decision on that matter.

In any dispute process, they are requried to investigate, and make a reasonable determination based on the results of their investigation.

If they determine that the debt is valid, they can verify.  They are not required to provide documentation to support their determination, or to "prove" the matter.

If they verify, they have stated that they have conducted a reasonable investigation, and find the charge-off to have been accurate.  That ends the dispute process.

To compel them to proivde their documentation and prove the issue requires that you get the issue before a judge.

If you feel your documentation will pursuade a court, then sue them for improperly reporting an action on a non-existent debt.

You can then use the pre-trial discovery process to compel their production of their documentation.

However, be aware that if your legal action is based on violation of the FCRA, then section 618 requires that any action be brought "not later than the earlier of (1) 2 years from the date of discovery by the plaintiff of the violation that is the basis for such liability, or (2) 5 years after the date on which the violation that is basis for such liability occurs."

You may be time-barred as being more than 2 years since discovery of their violation.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.