Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of charge off on TU?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to get rid of charge off on TU?

Yes, they will do a CO if they can't collect.  That doesn't change the fact that it's a bad debt.  The methods and procedures you are going through are not appropriate.  This is a valid non paid debt that can report to your CR.  You may have gotten something deleted because of a technicality, but you'll see CA after CA pop up on this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 21 of 39
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It also looks to be a fairly new debt so getting sued could be a real possibility.

Message 22 of 39
schrute
Contributor

I asked them about it and they said it is out of their hands now. Gave me a phone number of some 3rd party CA that I have to deal with... so the CO was, at least, unwilling to conclude it with them

Message 23 of 39
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The OC sold the debt to a CA.  The CA now owns the valid debt (CO) and you will need to work with them to pay it.

Once anyone sells a debt to someone else they are not legally able to take money for it.

Message 24 of 39
DaBears
Senior Contributor

You send a DV to the CA, if they can't verify the debt in there records than it can be deleted. For businesses that can't collect on debt that the consumer won't ever pay or just refuses to pay they hire a CA to see if they can collect for them and in the mean time at the end of the yr they have to charge it off as bad debt to the IRS.

Message 25 of 39
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

You send a DV to the CA, if they can't verify the debt in there records than it can be deleted. For businesses that can't collect on debt that the consumer won't ever pay or just refuses to pay they hire a CA to see if they can collect for them and in the mean time at the end of the yr they have to charge it off as bad debt to the IRS.

This is all true.  However, it does not mean the debt is no longer valid.  The only time you would not need to pay is if you received a 1099 for forgiven debt.  Which really isn't forgiven in the long run because you have to add it to your income for the year you receive the 1099.

Message 26 of 39
schrute
Contributor

Debt is several years old, the CA tried to sue but failed due to improper venue. I moved to a different state before this alleged CO occured. So the CA can't sue me, they'll have to sell it to someone in my new state. Already hired an attorney on this.

Message 27 of 39
schrute
Contributor

At the end of the day, Wells still has a CO on my CR. EX and EQ removed it but not TU. I'm not super concerned about the CA right now since that can get removed. Paying the CA won't remove the CO. When I disputed with TU, it came back verified. When I asked for a MOV, however, they failed to provide one in 15 days. It took 31 days.

Message 28 of 39
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I thought this debt was from 2011??? and not several yrs old?

Message 29 of 39
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Only from what I gathered in reading the posts, it is a valid debt.  Which never should have been disputed in the first place.

The fact the the other 2 CRAs removed it has nothing to do with TU still reporting it. If it is a valid debt, from the OC and/or CA it can be reported.

If TU failed to provide you a MOV within the FCRA guidelines, it is a violation of the FCRA.  As long as the OC shows they have a CO against you, the item wouldn't be removed.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.