Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle Car loan charge offs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to handle Car loan charge offs?

We have two car loan charge offs on our credit. The first one is for $681 for a repo. We returned our car back to the bank and they sold the car at auction and didn't get the full prce of the loan. so they charged off $681. How do I take care of this? Pay it? Send a validation letter? Send a charge off letter? This took place in 2014

The second is for a car loan where we paid off the loan, they sendt us a loan paid in full letter and the title to the car. Two months later we got a letter in the mail saying we didn't pay enough and still owe them $1100 dollars.  The person who gave us the charge off amount didn't give us the correct amount. They charged off the $1100.  This is through Chase Auto Finance. this took place in 2013.  Is there anything I can do to get these off my credit or do I just wait it out till they fall off?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to handle Car loan charge offs?

The first, i would offer to pay in full for delete. If they refuse, you could pay, then GW them.
The second, i would dispute with 3 CRA and include letter you received from bank that states paid in full.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to handle Car loan charge offs?

Once a creditor has taken a charge-off on a delinquent debt, that fact is not later negated by payment of the debt.

Taking a charge-off is an internal accounting measure that moves the delinquent debt from the assets column of their accounting ledger, thus providing a more accurate accounting of their true assets.  It does not remove continued obligation of the consumer for the entire debt, and remains a factual process regardless of subsequent status of the delinquent debt.

Once you have paid the debt, the snapshot Current Status will no longer be reported as a delinquency status, such as 180-late or CO.  It will be updated to paid or settled.

However, the CO remains of record, and continues to impact payment history scoring, whether paid or unpaid.

Removal of the reported CO can be attempted by a good-will request for deletion sent to the creditor.

There is no requirment for deletion based on subsequent payment of the debt.  To the contrary, CRA policy clearly instructs creditors not to delete a collection based on subsequent payment of the debt.  Thus, many creditors will refuse good-will deletions due to their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs in which they agree not to do so.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.