Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle Portfolio Recovery

tag
lucknpat
Contributor

How to handle Portfolio Recovery

Portfolio Recovery is calling me everyday, just once a day. I've not answered because I assume they're calling me about old debts that have fallen off my credit report. I've been paying all my credit cards etc. So I can't imagine that they'd be calling about something new, there's nothing on my credit reports for them. Do you think I should answer their call to determine what they are calling about? Can I ask them to stop calling? I'm not sure how to proceed. I keep blocking the numbers but they seem to have endless numbers.

FICO8 - 8/2019
EX 510, TU 538, EQ 497

FICO8 - 11/27/2021
EX 528, TU 584, EQ 558

FICO 8 - 4/4/2022
EX 623, TU 629, EQ 650
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: How to handle Portfolio Recovery

@lucknpat wrote:

Portfolio Recovery is calling me everyday, just once a day. I've not answered because I assume they're calling me about old debts that have fallen off my credit report. I've been paying all my credit cards etc. So I can't imagine that they'd be calling about something new, there's nothing on my credit reports for them. Do you think I should answer their call to determine what they are calling about? Can I ask them to stop calling? I'm not sure how to proceed. I keep blocking the numbers but they seem to have endless numbers.

Just becuase it's not on your reports anymore, doesn't mean you still don't owe the debt, hence why they are continuing to call you.

@lucknpat wrote:

Can I ask them to stop calling? 

It's called a cease and desist letter, I would read more into that if you wanted them to stop contacting you.

I would also consider if those debts could reappear on your credit report and if you could still be sued for those debts or not before writing a cease and desist.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

There is only one run of 7 to 7.5 years that a debt can appear on ones credit report. Now the SOL is a different animal it can be reset even with very old debt if one were to sign a new agreement to pay even though it cannot be reported.

Message 3 of 5
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Portfolio recovery has a policy that they will not sue after the sol, and that even if the sol can be restarted, they will not sue. 

So call or answer and tell them to shut up and leave you alone. They did for me.

Message 4 of 5
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

@lucknpat wrote:

@lucknpat I had a few CO's with Portfolio holding the notes on.  You are probably aware but I will throw this out here just in case you aren't....PR does do PFD.  They also do PFD with a settled for less.  I had both w/ them and they were true to their word and about 3 weeks after me settling one and paying off the other, both were removed from my CR's w/in one billing cycle.  I know you did not mention if you would be willing to do so but I have been there, done that.  Dodging phone calls, blocking #'s, only picking up calls that I knew who it was.....I got so tired of dreading each time my phone rang that I did some research and contacted them.  Best wishes, keep us posted!

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.